Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
I'm so incredibly sorry for bothering those of you who deal with the uninformed, such as myself. I've been researching to the best of my ability to find out everything I could possibly know about ALS over the the past week. I simply started with looking up why I was having a muscle spasm in my my calf, inside of my forarm, and one in my shoulder. I've only had a total of three over the course of a month and they lasted for a minute at the most. I noticed that muscle spasms are one of the signs of ALS. I have dropped a "few" things out of my left hand over the last couple of weeks, and tripped a "few" times again over the last 2 weeks. My left arm has been feeling very "tired" especially after I get done running. Am I gathered all these symptoms and putting them together and making something out of nothing, possibly, but according to what I've read these are indeed symptoms of ALS. If this helps I've done some strength exercises such as hopping on one foot then the other with no issues, I do run for exercise with generally no issues except for fatigue in my arms and legs. I deliver packages out of a truck for a living for without any real issues. Also, the thing that scares me is of apparently how subtle the early stages ALS are. I'm scheduled for a doctors appointment next week. Some advice on how to present my concerns to him would be helpful. Thank you so so much for all you do to the uninformed such as myself and all the many others you care for.

Mary, if you have been researching than I am sure you already know that there a lot of conditions with these symptoms. Not likely ALS.

I would tell your doctor the issues you are having. For right now I would not worry. Its extremely unlikely you have ALS. Dr Google should have his license taken away.

Thank you so much for your timely response. I would be remiss if I didn't bring up a symptom that I forgot to mention. I have excess salvation and seems to "leak" from the corners of my mouth, does that change your opinion, and also, at the risk of being annoying, could you please explain your thought process on why you don't think I have als? I've had 3 consecutive nights of barley sleeping, and the thought of dealing with not knowing whats going on until my doctor's appointment is dreadful. Thanks again for your time on the this matter.

No.

Go see your doctor. Bring up all your concerns.

Read the sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING

You're doctor's appointment is right around the corner. You ask how to present your symptoms. Present them as you experience them but do not bring ALS into the picture, i.e., could this be ALS? Let the doctor come to his conclusion/diagnosis without leading. It doesn't sound at like ALS.

Mary, please excuse us from explaining our thought process in detail. Unfortunately, we have people who read thread like this and then talk themselves into every symptom they read about, so we try not to build new cases for them by doing as you ask.

Here's hoping that you get a clean report.

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back