Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
us
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
Posted to “Do I have ALS? Is this ALS?” forum on 8-5-2016 under “Neurologist Says…..”, I posted a diagnosis from Mayo Clinic as
Diagnosis: Motor neuron disease, unspecified
Diagnosis: Other specified disorders of muscle
Diagnosis: Disease of spinal cord, unspecified

Update: The Neurologist at Mayo updated the diagnosis to
DIAGNOSES:
#1 Probable motor neuron disease
#2 Progressive right lower extremity weakness

I have sought a 2nd opinion at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. I had my forth EMG on Sept 21. The Neurologist confirmed he saw same abnormal results in EMG as Mayo as well as now weakness and twitching in right arm.

“I had a long discussion with her and her husband. I agree that this is likely motor neuron disease, as evidenced by progressive weakness without numbness and fasciculations. I do see findings in her arms now. Although they are mild, there is evidence of spread which would further support the diagnosis. We did talk about her breast cancer and how that could possibly be the problem although very unlikely. We will repeat an EMG, get ultrasound of her right leg, and she needs to follow-up with her oncologist. We talked about possibly doing an LP and a PET scan to excluded all possibilities. She will follow up with me after the tests, but it is likely she will need ALS clinic”

I still need to complete the PET scan, and weird to say, hope they find cancer.

I have additional questions, but I will post them to the correct forum/correct thread

Thank You all for your comments and advise.

I understand the hoping for cancer as the cause. We have another member who was dxed with MND, then ovarian cancer and now they are revisiting the MND hoping it is paraneoplastic syndrome instead. There have been a few others who passed this way when MND was on the table only to leave when the dx turned out to be cancer.

I am sorry things are still trending this way. This visit was follow up Mayo and you are going to a second opinion or this was your second opinion?

This was my 2nd opinion. Mayo was first, then Univ of Iowa H&C. Trying to overturn all stones.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back