Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Medical Lake
Note: I do not remember having any injuries and I have a clean MRI (head and spine). The only thing I have diagnosed on me is GAD-Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Symptoms began 5 months ago with widespread twitching.

Then in July I had some trouble swallowing that seemed to wax and wane. I chalked it up to anxiety. I started getting bad acid reflux around this time as well.

August clinical exam showed that I had symmetrical brisk reflexes. The neurologist told me as long as they were brisk, it's not really relevant. I hope there's a difference between brisk and reflexes and true pathological hyperflexia?

This is also around the time I started getting VERY constant myoclonic jerks that would keep me up all night. I couldn't rest without some leg flailing up, or an arm moving, shoulder, fingers whatever it was. My body WOULD NOT REST.

However back in June my reflexes were normal. No doctor seemed concerned about them. My neuro didn't seem very concerned about my brisk reflexes either though.

September: I find myself stuttering words a lot more than I used to. I'm biting my tongue more often as well. Swallowing still waxes and wanes. Some days are better than others. Same with speech. I have not begun to slur my words or anything. My balance seems a little off. I can walk just fine but something just seems "off." This comes and goes.

September 21st -> Day of my EMG. The neurologist does my left arm only and looks me dead in the eye and says "You don't have ALS."

I was overjoyed. And i have a follow up appointment two weeks from today to go over the results further. Though i am still having swallowing issues.

But then he started talking about how i had a fibrillation show up on my EMG, on my tricep but he said he wasn't worried about it and sent me home?

So if I add up brisk reflexes + twitching + slightly funny EMG = Full Out Panic Mode.

The kicker? Since August I've been trying to work out and started an exercise program. I've been doing nothing but getting stronger! I have recorded:

August 3rd Pull-Ups: 1 pull-up.
Day before my EMG: 13 Pull-Ups

Bench Press (August 3rd) 3 sets of 75 pounds
Bench Press (Day before EMG) 4 sets of 110 pounds.

Squats: August 3rd-3 sets of 90lbs
Squats: September 20th: 4 sets of 155lbs

What is going on here?? Is it really just some unfortunate coincidence that I could have brisk reflexes, twitching, swallowing problems AND a fibrillation on an EMG and STILL NOT HAVE ALS??

The only hope I have left is my progress on my workout routine. My legs and arms have gotten a little bigger as well? I guess I have no choice but believe my doctor regardless. I feel only perceived weakness in my hands. I also get cramp like pains in my hands, feet, calves, hamstrings, tricep. It is all very unsettling.

Opinions on that Fib?

Last edited:
Truly you need to stop.

You DO NOT HAVE ALS so you need to leave.

Your doctor told you no ALS. Everyone here with ALS had a lot more on emg than 1 fibrillation. If your doctor had had the slightest concern he would have tested more areas. You are getting stronger. Your other symptoms are nonspecific and your diagnosed GAD could be ( likely is) contributing to them.

You have a follow up appointment I doubt your doctor is going to say anything different than what he already said.

Are you in treatment for your GAD? You need to get that under control if you want to go to med school ( or if you just want to have a normal life)

The neurologist does my left arm only and looks me dead in the eye and says "You don't have ALS."

This is great news! Celebrate, learn some techniques to calm your anxiety and start living life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back