Reason
Other
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Are muscle cramps and/or pain/tenderness a sign of onset ALS? Namely in the foot and calf areas. Walking or at rest - the pain is still there intermittently. No atrophy and no clinical weakness or so it seems. Thank you.

No, pain is definately not part of ALS until after the muscles are gone.

Ok, thank you and God bless.

I have noticed a indent in my upper left side of my right leg. Does atrophy precede weakness? Does it happen together?

No, atrophy does not precede weakness. You do not have any symptoms of ALS. I can not imagine how your vague complaints of pain and cramps sent you to fear ALS. If you have a headache do you assume a brain tumor? Go to your doctor if you are concerned but nothing you have said have anything to do with ALS.

I am sorry. I guess I don't understand the disease well enough. My right leg SEEMS weak and FEELS weaker in that area. But I can still walk. I haven't tried to bike or run. Just not understanding the indentation with seeming weak (yet still being able to walk).

Since both dents and CLINICAL weakness as opposed to perceived which is what you report are discussed in the sticky please review that. Thank you

Thanks, Nikki. I've had a nerve conduction study (all good save for cubital) and am waiting for the date of my EMG just to make sure things are all good. I don't quite understand the role of the NCS and how it can help exclude ALS or point away from it. I know it measures nerves ... in ALS, do the muscles go first or the neurons that "feed" them?

NM it is very clear by your lack of basic knowledge of the disease that you have not read the stickies at the top of this forum. Your questions are all addressed there. I have no idea how you so randomly landed on ALS as a concern for you.

You are asking people dying or caring for someone with this disease to enlighten you on it. Doesn't that sound like an unreasonable burden to you?

It does, Nikki. I am sorry. I will review the stickies over and over and make sure to look other things up elsewhere.

ALS is a disease in the brain, it starts with the nerves, not the muscles, that's why there are no feelings associated with the disease, but again, PLEASE PLEASE read the stickies--we have to use our time supporting people with a terminal illness not explaining the nuances of the disease to people who clearly don't have it!

Knee Fascicilation

I am having a constant Fascicilation in my right knee. And the knee feels weak. I can still walk and go up on my toes (hurts some) but the twitching is not stopping at all. Feels like my knee will go at any minute. I've had faciacilations all over but now centralized in the knee. I have an EMG scheduled for Wednesday. I'm so scared. Is this indicative of ALS?

Re: Knee Fascicilation

No. This is your second thread in a week. Stay in your original thread. None of your symptoms say ALS. Read the stickies. Twitching means absolutely nothing.

Apologies for the second thread.

I hope this thread is simply deleted.
Last thread you were told to READ THE STICKIES and you said you would.

If you had done this you could not have missed that TWO of them say do not open more than one thread.

So you open a second thread, say sorry you did it.

You do not seem to appreciate that terminally ill people will have to come in and delete this.

You need to leave, you have ZERO ALS symptoms and less respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back