Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
Hi everyone, i would like to share a little bit about my story. My mother was diagnosed with ALS at 48 and passed away 5 years later, it took the doctor 1 year to figure out she had ALS. The reason for her death was overdoes on morphine.
Lately I been feeling sick, stared with restless feet numb toe and burning sensation in my feet , I thought it was bc I work on my feet all day, but now I'm starting to have hand pain and leg pain... My right arm is starting to get weak and my leg feels weird. I did Google research and all my symptoms according to Google can be Peripheral Neuropathy God know, but I'm very scared to be diagnosed with ALS as I think of my children and what it would be of them without me. Can someone tell me if the pain I'm feeling is from ALS?

You did not describe ALS in your post. There is no reason for you to worry about ALS. Also, ALS is not a peripheral neuropathy.

The pain you're feeling needs to see a doctor, but it is certainly not ALS.

I'm so sorry about your mum.

I agree with Mike, though neuropathy maybe, but ALS no, it's not like that.

I also wonder if you are saying your mum deliberately overdosed herself on morphine, or she was on morphine towards the end and you feel she was given too much?

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post. I had blood work and it came out good but I know ALS needs other testing. My arm is starting to hurt and feel weak more like muscle pain and well my leg as well. What type of Doctor do I need to see?
Also do any of you mind giving me information on what can be the first symptoms of ALS? I feel like I'm at a 50% chance of having it since my mother was diagnosed with it.

And to answer Tillie question, towards the end my mom was in a lot of pain, and was given too much morphine. When we got to the hospital it was too late to reverse the morphine.

If you have only one relative with ALS you are not at 50 per cent risk. Your risk is approximately that of the general populations. Only about 10 per cent of us are FALS and we virtually all know it. I have lost 5 relatives- sister mom aunts and uncle - in my lifetime. My cousins - children of people with genetic ALS are at 50 per cent risk -not you

Pain is not a beginning symptom. It comes later. See your regular doctor they will direct you. You may need a rheumatolgist but only your doctor will know for sure

As Nikki says, you are not at any higher risk of developing ALS than I am because my husband had ALS.

We have this great post at the top of this forum titled READ BEFORE POSTING - that is where you should start. Please understand most of our PALS are using their eyes to generate text here and suffer severe fatigue.

You are not describing ALS onset at all, so work with your doctors to find out just what is happening. All the best. We don't describe ALS onset in this section because it only heightens peoples anxiety as they focus too much on every part of their bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back