Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Stoke on trent
City
Kidsgrove
Hi,
Just looking for a bit of advice. For the past few months I've been experiencing continual muscle twitching all over my body (in every place imaginable). A few weeks after this started I started noticing some weakness in my left arm and hand and this has got progressively worse to the point where I struggle to hold up my phone to text and struggle to use a fork to eat. When I try and do those things my hand starts to shake as the muscle gives up. I also have weakness in my left leg and foot and a general weak muscle feeling all over, i feel weak at the knees when I stand up. It feels like a great effort to do anything and I'm extremely fatigued (struggle to stay awake during the day). I've also noticed that my left thigh muscle is indented when I tense it (although everyone I've showed this to says I'm reading into things too much). Also, I've been getting the feeling of a lump in my throat a lot recently (not sure if that's related).

I was seen by a neurologist who said he could see no clinical weakness and I've had a clean mri scan and nerve conduction tests. My emg came back ok apart from fasiculations so the neurologist has diagnosed 'peripheral nerve hyperexitability' and has suggested I try some tablets to stop the twitching.

I'm not really happy with this diagnosis as I don't feel this explains my weakness and fatigue. Im still terrified that I have ALS since I've read so many stories where people initially had a clean emg and then were subsequently diagnosed.
Has anyone else had a similar experience to me? Can anyone offer any insight into any other conditions that could cause similar symptoms? I don't really know where to go from here, i feel like until I completely lose the use of my hand/arm noone is going to take me seriously and I'm so worried :-(

Hi dreaming

There is a post at the top of this forum section titled READ BEFORE POSTING - I think it really answers your questions well. It's our official position, no matter what you might read or hear elsewhere as we know ALS really well.

In ALS you won't feel weak at all, so that's great as you have lots of feeling stuff going on. I know it's hard to believe, but really PALS don't feel weak, they simply cannot do things and this shows as clinical weakness. ALS also doesn't come on all over the whole body, all limbs and bulbar all at once, so again great news.

If you don't think your neurologist is right, go get a second opinion for sure. We only deal with ALS, and as a stranger who can't see you, all I can say is it does not sound at all like ALS. All the best.

Pink,
The feeling of weakness does accord with the shaking. When your muscles are shaking because the nerves that control them are working in overdrive, it's harder for them to do what you want them to, namely voluntary controlled movement.

DK what tablets you were prescribed, but diet (hydration, electrolytes, controlling caffeine/stimulants/simple sugars), sleep and stress, as well as bodywork are all angles to take as well.

As Tillie says, nothing suggests MND, which is great news.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back