Friend was DX
Country
PL
State
mazowieckie
City
Warsaw
Hello everybody

I hope this is my last post here, it's been a bumpy ride trough last half year by I'm getting over my fear of mnd
My symptoms that are consistent with fasciculations, jerks and spasm are not any better, in reality they are worse
No weakness or any other signs of als
I'm just thinking should I even bother with follow up and another emg or just accept that fact that no weakness mens no als
My first emg that showed neurogenic changes (fibs, fascis and abnormal MUAP) is the only reason why I still bother you here
I'm confused if next one will clear things up or bring more confusion
I have no symptoms of als and emg that is somehow consistent with it, and your faq states that emg will detect changes before they really show up, but many authorities like professor Turner puts more meaning into a clinical exam
I want to move on and I'm counting on your insight

All the best

Great news :)

I think you are slightly confusing what our sticky says.
When it says the EMG will detect changes before weakness shows, that doesn't mean that you will have no weakness in your body at all. What it means is often a PALS goes for an EMG and they are say experiencing clinical weakness in one arm. The EMG will pick up ALS changes in other parts of the body as well, even though they hadn't started experiencing weakness there yet.

That's different to having zero clinical weakness.

Maybe your best course of action would be to go back and see the neurologist, have another clinical exam and discuss then whether another EMG is indicated or not. Then you can make the decision together and you should feel more confident about that, rather than wondering if you should or not?

All the best.

To keep your mind at ease, you might seek a followup exam with the last physician who saw you, for a basis for comparison, to say whether you have any changes to suggest weakness, atrophy and/or abnormal muscle tone.

It sounds like from what you say the answer will be no, supporting your insight that you do not have MND. And so I encourage you to apply that insight in a positive direction, perhaps helping the less fortunate or the preservation of the natural resources (my late husband spent some time in your corner of the world) to which you have access, in some way.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you both, that part was indeed confusing and now is clear, that's exactly what top neurologist like Martin Turner said about changes in strong limbs and I also found that idea in some studies
I will try to follow up with the same neurologist to check for changes, I can't self exam but from what I learn with your help here nothing suggest weakness or any impairment of my motor function
I was always a very strong advocate of environmental protection and you're very right Laurie that if this proves not to be any kind of MND my resources would wiser spend on positive efforts instead of a fear of deadly disease
I still find it hard to adjust to weird things that happen to my body, but whatever it is I'll take it over neurodegenerative disease
Thanks again for spending time in this section, it requires lots of effort and I'm very grateful for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back