Reason
Other
Country
Uk
State
London
City
London
Hi, I recently had an EMG and also a nerve excitability testing of ion channels. I have had EMGs before which have shown fascias and one showed a minor neurogenic change. I have been twitching for 15 months but except for brisk reflexes clean clinical. Is there anyone that could interpret my EMG and the nerve excitability ion channel test?

My first question would be, how did your doctor interpret the result? You are asking strangers on the internet to interpret a diagnostic test for you. That question should be answered by the doctor who ordered the test and who you are seeing for your symptoms. What have they said?

He said simply that hey see it in BFS. Didn't expand on if seen in ALS.

You have symptoms consistent with bfs, not ALS. Your emg is not ALS. Your doctor said the tests are consistent with bfs. I don't think ion channel tests are done in the US for ALS- not even in study of presymptomatic gene carriers

Hi, yes you are right I am not sure US have been very involved in the axon channel nerve testing. I think mainly Europe and Japan. It shows that increased sodium polarisation fanning and decreased potassium ion channels seem to be consistent with the very early stages before clinical signs when only nerve excitability shows resulting in fascias. I was hoping someone could interpret my results as neutral. I heard there is a chap called Wright who is keen on this stuff.

Twitching means nothing.
Twitching for 15 months with no clinical symptoms means less than nothing.

Please don't push that any further, less than nothing is actually incredibly exciting and you should just go live you life rather than focus on less than nothing. All the best.

Hi Tillie and thanks for the feedback along also with Starente and Nikki.
I have read the stickies but due to the neurogenic change and now the nerve excitability test it has me concerned as also the brisk reflexes and now shoulder aching and pain. I was hoping someone might have knowledge to read my latest EMG and nerve excitability tests. I worry that they say it's consistent with BFS until more things happen clinically or would this have happened already in 15 months.

Also thanks to affected for feedback as well. I also have high CPK at 364 and my January EMG showed a minor neurogenic change. Also brisk reflexes and my twitching is off the charts.

None of the things you are reporting says ALS, I think that's about all we can say. BFS can cause brisk reflexes.
The person with knowledge to read your EMG is the doctor that is also clinically examining you. Strangers on the internet is really not the way to go.

All the best.

Thanks Tillie. The doctor stated that likely BFS but professor Turner suggests diagnosis of BFS cannot be fully confirmed until 3 years. Therefore based on the top man himself it is indeed a bit early to stake a claim on BFS. That's why it is such a constant worry for myself and many others in what is a waiting room period to find out. It's the same for everyone whilst in this grey area in all diseases and conditions where the anxiety is indeed very high.
I can across this section that it seems is dedicated to do I have ALS which suggests there are people here like yourselves kindly giving feedback. I was mistaken thinkin that there might be a neurophysiologist on the site that looks at EMGs and provides feedback. It was just that someone had mentioned this was the case so again apologies.
I am of course very worried based on my symptoms of twitching and cramping plus the abnormalities in my nerve tests and blood tests and clinical. Thanks Brad.

Nikki, was trying to send reply to your message but being rubbish at tech stuff I can't find how to do it. So replying here to say oops didn't realise that rule and apologies. Won't happen again. Cheers Brad

No problem Brad! Thanks for understanding. Should have explained you can't reply because you do not have pm privileges at this point

nikki, it was very interesting to get the feedback from professor turner directly recently. I was surprised he responded to me. I am due to see his colleague in a few weeks time the other professor there. I will ask him about the axon ion channels results just as interest and second opinion. I also chased up with the professor that did it on me at queens square today and he has just come back to say he knows these studies well as most were done at queens square where he runs the unit of neurophysiology and he said my results were minimally abnormal and (in capitals) NOT the results they see in MND. He also said that these changes in axon ion channels occur in many neuropathy and diseases along with BFS.

All sounding good for you Brad, how wonderful!

Please go read the sticky again, the READ BEFORE POSTING one as I get the feeling you haven't absorbed much in it and it took us so long to write and get correct and is our official position.

It seems to me it is time for you to let go, stop internet searching and start living. It isn't healthy for you to be chasing this when you truly have vague symptoms that are likely to be nothing. Most people live with lots of twitches, cramps, aches and pains and no diagnosis of anything.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back