Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Alabama
City
Montgomery
I'm reaching out because I am very concerned. About 4 months ago I noticed Atrophy in my left hand which is not my dominant hand. It came with some pain. About 3 weeks ago, I had really bad pain in my forearm and arm period(left). I noticed a few days ago that my left arm seems to have muscle atrophy as well.

I am a 22 year old male.

Here are my symptoms I've noticed:

- Muscle Atrophy in left hand/arm
- Pain in left arm/hand.
- Twitching all over body
- Pain in left foot and both legs
- My pinky finger is stiff at time but has full motion
- My ring finger seems to be glued to my middle at times
- Left arm feels heavy at times like it's just dangling
- Dry Mouth - Spitting when talking
- Night Sweats (only a few)
- Shoulder aching
- no difficulty moving hand
- Slight weakness in left arm but I can still lift weights
- Pain in forearm/elbow area that shoots to shoulder

Those are what I have noticed. I have an appointment with the Neuro set up on Tuesday. I am just scared and I am a hypercondriact if I'm being honest.

I know this is a forum of people that are dealing with ALS is some way or shape and I apologize if my question seems odd or dumb.

Thank you for your time.

I see no reason for you to be scared of ALS. I'm sure your doctor will identify another cause for your issues, even if it's a passing virus or simple anxiety. If the neuro sends you back to a primary care doc, be sure to follow up so you can get the help you need.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the response. I guess I am just worried because of the muscle atrophy in my left arm and hand. It scares me.

First, humans are naturally asymmetrical. And then we add to it with our activities. For example, the distance across the base of the thumb on my mousing hand is 2x as wide as the other one. But I know the other hand isn't atrophied.

Second, the whole pain/weird feeling/atrophy thing tends to reinforce itself, in that parts you think at some point are weak or painful tend not to be used as much, which only adds to those impressions.

I'm sure your appointment will clarify things. Meanwhile, make good use of the weekend and the health you enjoy.

Absolutely! That makes perfect sense! I've just noticed it recently. I can feel a nerve that I couldn't feel before in my left hand and my arm just seems really smaller. Thank you for your answers though. Enjoy your weekend!

Once again thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back