Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WA
City
Spokane
I HAVE read the stickies and I'm aware that twitching by itself is hardly indicative of anything. I know I have anxiety and am currently taking medications for it. But I have just a few questions because I DID hear from my mom who works in a nursing home about a man who has ALS and he DID start with just twitching. He was 48.

My situation: I'm a 4 Month Twitcher (Widespread Fasciculations)

The Good News:
-I'm a 23 year old Male (Hispanic)
-No Weakness/No Atrophy
-Good dexterity (Playing fingerstyle guitar perfectly)

What Concerns Me:

-I have cramp like pains in my hands and feet
-Brisk Reflexes (as confirmed by PCP and Neurologist though they are symmetrical).
-Trouble Swallowing (Though possibly GERD because I suffer from sore throats, coughing up phlegm, throat burns when eating certain foods. I just have the feeling of food sticking in my throat when I swallow. Liquids are fine though.
-I can't get an EMG until December.

My question: Since I started becoming concerned about possible ALS, I started working out a month ago. Now through measurements, my muscles in my legs, chest, back and arms have gotten BIGGER AND STRONGER. I'm assuming that if my twitches and swallowing problems were caused by ALS, then there would be no way that I could be gaining muscle mass and strength right?

Thank you all. I'm definitely praying for all you out there who are afflicted. God loves you all so much and you have no idea what God has prepared for all his children afflicted by this terrible disease. God Bless

Isaiah 40:31
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Congratulations.

This is one of the weirdest posts.

It really does not appear that you have any (physical) need to be here.

Definitely one of our weirder ones.

Please keep bible quotes to yourself.

Despite what mum says TWITCHING MEANS NOTHING - I'd bet we know more about ALS than she does.

You have no sign of ALS, none at all - go celebrate that and stay off the forum for your own sake.

I apologize for the post being weird. Thank you guys for the input though. I don't personally believe I have ALS since I started seeing my muscles beginning to hypertrophy (as opposed to atrophy). The swallowing problem is really irritating though. I don't even have a lump sensation just "difficulty." Hard to explain other than feeling like food sticks to my throat.

If you don't believe you have ALS why would you even be here? Don't answer it was rhetorical.

Do you realise the people here are either dying of ALS, caring for someone dying from ALS, or have gone through the death of their person with ALS. We are very busy doing that and supporting those people.

Many of our PALS can only move their eyes and that is how they operate their computer. It takes enormous energy and a lot of their precious time.

Please consider this before posting again. There are lots of general health forums where you could talk to people about this that would be far more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back