Other
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Good morning to all.

The symptoms started a few months ago. First, I noticed Atrophy in my left hand with pain here and there. A few weeks ago I started having muscle Atrohpy in my forearm with very bad pain. I can easily feel the bone in my left arm where it folds compared to my right arm. My arm feels heavy and has aching pain that comes and goes.

The pinky finger in that had has become a little stiff but I can still move it very well. I don't feel too much weakness in that arm/hand but there is a little bit.

I've also noticed that when I talk my jaw gets sore. I've noticed my mouth becoming dry at times and other times I spit when I talk. I've also noticed a foul taste in my mouth at times. I've noticed some nights I wake up drenched in sweat. I also have had a stick neck here and there for the past year.

I have an appointment next week.

I am just very scared because it is very odd for me to have muscle atrophy in my left arm and hand.

Also I have had muscle twitching in my left arm and all over my body.

Note: I am a 23 year old Male

Wait for your appointment. Doesn't sound at all like ALS. Best of luck.

Please read the post at the top of this forum titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

No way you have ALS and I mean not even a slight chance.

I had my appointment with the Neurologist. He said my arms looked symmetrical and I had no clinical weakness. My reflexes all were good.

He ordered a MRI and blood work. And he said an EMG just to confirm things.

He kept telling me over and over again that this was NOT ALS and he was 99.9% sure. He said he would've had been able to tell if that was an option from the test he did there.

My question is how can he be so sure if he didn't even wait for the EMG results.

You should be asking him.

We have told you no way, he says no way, you want us all to say something else.

Time to move on, live your life and celebrate! All the best

He can be sure, Bobby, because no atrophy was seen, nor abnormal reflexes/muscle tone, nor clinical weakness. Absent all of these, there is no defect or problem that he saw with your motor neurons, the nerve cells that ALS affects.

UPDATE: I had my EMG and Nerve test today. Let me say both very uncomfortable.

The EMG was done on my left arm, hand and left side of neck. He told me he's been in the field for 30+ years. He said my EMG looked clean and strong and my nerve test was normal.

I am still scheduled for an MRI and blood work but it puts a small ease in my mind that they were good.

The folks here understand discomfort. You've been cleared which is great news. You should celebrate, forget about ALS and live life.

Terrific news!

You can happily leave here and stop researching ALS - congratulations!!!

I just want to say thank you to you all.

UPDATE: As I stated before while I was getting my EMG the doctor said he didn't see anything I should be worried about and that it was clean.

I looked at the results today as they were made available, and all normal except:

The left ulnar motor nerve showed prolonged distal onset latency ( 3.1ms )

Now I am freaking out again. The reason I'm giving an update because I know some of you have been through multiple EMGs . Have y'all experienced this reading at all?

That is not even part of the emg that is part of the ncs. It can be confusing because the two are done together and often reported together. If that was all the report noted your emg was completely normal as you were told. Anything on the ncs points away from ALS. You can check with the doctor but I think they will tell you it is an insignificant ncs finding but either way it is NOT from the EMG so no worries. Still good to go.

Bobby, an experienced medical expert personally examined you, spent a bunch of time and money on invasive testing (wasted it, just to calm you down, really), and a half-dozen people who are very intimately familiar with this rare disease have reassured you that there is no way you have it.

If you still, for a moment, have even the slightest doubt, the littlest nervous feeling that you're STILL not cleared of ALS, then there is something very wrong with you, and it is not physical. Get help, boy, but don't waste our time or insult us by continuing to question us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back