Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
PL
State
dolnoslaskie
City
Legnica
Hi, guys lately I have been worrying about possibility of me having Bulbar ALS. I have some questions:

1. I have been having this weird lump in the throat feeling. It is a constant feeling. I have it in the middle of the night, before eating, after eating, after waking up. You get the point. I have it all the time. Its feels like a phlegm that I can't move. I heard that PALS only get this feeling after eating, because the food gets stuck in their throat. So can my symptom be related to ALS?

2. I feel like there is something wrong with my voice. So I will post a link to recording of my voice:

https://soundcloud.com/tracepl/als

https://soundcloud.com/tracepl/als2

3. I don't have any problems with swallowing liquids / liquids & food at the same time (they are actually the easiest for me :p ).

Thanks in advice for any help.

1 no. In the sticky we tell you to look up globus. Do so
2 to answer your question in the recording. No
3 good. No reason to fear als

Read about GERD. Sounds like the lump in the throat is more a gastro intestinal or reflux issue. Tell your doctor and he will check it out.

I also have hoarseness. Is hoarseness thats worse at the end of the day a sign of ALS?

No.

Neither is halitosis.

I also have hoarseness. Is hoarseness thats worse at the end of the day a sign of ALS?

No, but it is a sign of GERD (acid reflux)

All is a sign of GERD which I've had. Ask your doc to check for reflux.

I have the exact same thing! I have a lump on my right side of my throat and phlegm like crazy. I find myself clearing my throat like every 15 minutes. I'm going on 2 months now and in the beginning had hoarseness and swelling and trouble swallowing. It has slowly gone away but I still have it. I am going to an ENT Dr. next and have them check my thyroid. I don't believe it is ALS but my worry is that my 2 brothers passed away from this awful disease not to long ago. I'll keep you posted.

Big Rob

Since you have ALS running in your family I assume that you unfortunately probably have higher chance of getting it then I do. Also whats your age? I am 17 - ALS is extremely rare at this age, bulbar even rarer.

Last edited:
Trace you are far better off leaving here than trying to engage in further chat.
Some of our most senior members have answered that you have zero ALS symptoms.

Please go and focus on the life you have ahead of you.

I also found out that my tounge feels tired after talking. Sometimes when I swallow some of the food remains at the end of the tounge and I have to swallow it again (water is also a solution). Everyone keeps telling eme that the thing with food remaining is normal and it sometimes also happens to them but I dont belive it. Right now I am 100% panicked. Still not coughing, still thin liquids are very easy, mixed liquids and food are easy, no problems with drinking while having my head upwards. Can someone deeply explain how bulbar starts and then progresses? I have also read that tounge tiredness and fatigue is not connected with ALS but its more like myasthenia gravis symptom. Is that correct?

I also have a feeling that I run out of air easily while talking

Last edited:
Trace- Are you working with a doctor? Posting here will not get you the care you need. This place is for people who are caring for people with ALS, and for people who have actually been diagnosed with ALS.

You have already been answered before and told "Not ALS" and not believed the answer you got. You also stated you don't believe your friends when they told you what you are experiencing is normal. If you have a serious health concern, you will get actual care and more information from visiting a doctor for a proper examination.

It is too much for you to ask us here to deeply explain how bulbar begins and progresses. My mom died from bulbar onset. There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance you have it. Your presence on this forum is very bad for your health anxiety. Please do as we have all suggested and get help from a doctor in person to address your fears.

Trace,

You've been told it does not look like ALS.

Rejoice.

However, you're starting to be a bit of an irritant, so I am closing your thread.

Good luck; don't open another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back