Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
Tasmania
City
Hobart
Hi I am 38 and have 4 young children. I am extremely concerned. About a month ago I saw my thumb twitch a few times. Since then I have felt twitches pretty much all over my body. As everyone else I googled, curious. It led me here. I don't feel I have weakness, apart from when lifting a pot of water etc and then my forearm will shake. When I half smile the muscles around my mouth quiver, as does my foot when lifting my toes as in releasing off the accelerator when driving. My right leg feels a little 'heavy' and it often feels as though I need to stretch my foot to avoid a cramp in my foot and outside of lower leg, which doesn't eventuate. I have been to my gp who did strength and reflex tests. Strength fine but reflexes were brisk, especially in knees. She has referred me to a neurologist. She told me to prepare for not good news. Any reassurance??

Hon please go read the sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING - that is our official position.

You don't have a single sign of ALS - twitching and 'feeling' things means nothing.

All the best from another aussie

What you describe sounds like an intention tremor. That can be down to heredity, needing some salt (sodium or potassium), low magnesium, dehydration, and so much more. Brisk reflexes mean nothing in themselves. I'd tinker with your diet some and watch your sleep/stress level with 4 young ones --

Best,
Laurie

I'm sorry, but I did read the sticky and understand that is your standpoint, but I have also read many posts in here where people were diagnosed had twitching before any weakness or atrophy. Also read many other diagnosis stories with the same thing. I wasn't as concerned about the twitching until the dr mentioned the hyperreflexes were pointing to UMN related condition. I don't mean to offend.

Thank you laurie. Gp did a full blood count and nothing unusual showed up. All functioning fine. Was hoping she might pick up potassium or thyroid or something simple. Thanks for your thoughts though.

I also should mention I just found out I am surprisingly pregnant with our fifth child. As I am unsure if I have a serious disease I am extremely worried about continuing with the pregnancy, obviously causing extra stress/pressure.

Mineral deficiencies are not always seen in blood work, as very little of the level is measured. I wouldn't rule it out, as other posts here testify.

Were you possibly pregnant when these sx began? Some "twitching" type disorders like RLS are more common in pregnancy, as is the iron deficiency that can contribute. Regardless of your labs, I'd try some red meat, a fruit/veg smoothie and something salty. Every day.

All hyperreflexia is not UMN. Your doc should not have implied otherwise. That's like equating being tipsy from a glass of wine with being falling down drunk 24/7.

Laurie is right. Hyper-reflexia is pretty common. The only time it is considered an issue is if it's severe and combined with several other UMN signs- something a neurologist will be checking for. Quick reflexes, particularly bilateral, are not a pathological sign.

Hyper-reflexia is so much more than quick reflexes- it combines reflex speed, strength, volume of movement and lack of ability to dampen the response, even several moments after initiation. Several other surrounding muscles in the body will also become involved in a pathological reflex response- an inverse response. Even after all that, there are many reasons for these reflex responses- from absolutely normal biology...to nerve compression, pressure on the spine/brain, hormonal issues, viral infection, mineral deficiency, mineral overload, and on and on. A neuro will be able to narrow it down, should there be any concern.

best wishes

No one is diagnosed with ALS because they twitch.

Anyone diagnosed with ALS had a host of other obvious weakness and measurable symptoms. Often people come here and read all kinds of things and grab little bits out of stories and convince themselves they match those stories, but usually they just match little bits. My husband twitched before weakness in his arms. BUT he had all the other hallmark symptoms of ALS in other parts of his body.

I hope that other replies have helped turn your thoughts towards a far more reasonable explanation for your symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back