Other
Country
Us
State
IN
City
Anderson
Good morning,

Have my 2nd appt with neuro this coming Friday. I am having my first emg performed, 1st appt was the standard checked reflexes, strength test, and blood work.

The reflexes were normal strength was normal. Blood work showed slightly elevated CK level. This all began with fasciculatons in my left calf. My question is when ALS is present are CK levels higher?

Also would they be performing an EMG if something was not seriously wrong?

Thank you for your time
Brian

Did you ask what they are looking for with the EMG?

EMG is a diagnostic tool used for a huge range of conditions.

With a normal clinical exam you should keep your mind open to the host of treatable conditions this is most likely to be.

Good luck and until Friday stop researching all the worst things it isn't likely to be. Staying off sites like this is the first step you should take, it won't help your frame of mind and that is the one thing you can control.

Thank you for the reply, I didn't ask but I should have. It all went very quickly almost seemed rushed.

The neuro prescribed me some medicine saying it could be restless leg syndrome. However the meds have not helped the fasciculatons.

Have never had an emg, are they abe to see the results as it is being done?

Thank you,
Brian

It will depend on whether your neurologist is doing the EMG and will talk to you about it as it goes, or whether another will do it. In that case the results will be sent to your neuro and you will need an appointment to receive the results.

In the meantime do everything you can for yourself - stay hydrated, reduce caffeine and sugars, exercise a bit and do something for someone else worse off. That always helps take your mind off your own issues :)

Let us know when you have the results.

Until then you have no ALS symptoms and so without results we can't really comment on anything.

Also go to the top of this forum section and read the post title - READ BEFORE POSTING. It should answer all your other questions.

Hi just wanted to update had appt with neuro today and she performed emg.

She advised emg was completely clean.

Thanks,
Brian

A clean emg means no ALS.

Excellent, you are good to go!

Remember us when the Ice Bucket Challange hits.

Thanks Greg, I definitely will not forget you guys.

Thanks
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back