Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WI
City
Milwaukee
My trouble with my health began the beginning of June 2016. My first symptoms appeared driving home from work, where I experienced an overwhelming heaviness in my legs with tingling in my right arm and leg. I visited my primary doctor that week and was tested for vitamin b12 deficiency. I was told I was deficient in vitamin b12 for which I was given a RX to bring my levels up. As that week concluded and the next rolled on, the tingling subsided but my right arm and leg remained incredibly weak. I noticed tremor in both of my hands and a prevailing weakness in my right wrist. Also, I had noticed my tongue was pulsating in the middle, and I was having some difficulty swallowing and would slip up on some words when speaking at work. I reported my symptoms to my primary doctor who ordered a brain mri and referred me to a neuro. The brain mri returned normal before my neuro appointment. Speaking with the neuro he discussed ms, migraines, etc and has since ordered an mri of my spine. He looked at my tongue and didn't think much of the movement. My biggest concern here is the incredible weakness I am experiencing in my right arm and leg. When I hold my wrist up I can feel my arm shaking, when I step with my right foot, It feels twice as heavy as my left. I also at times feel tightness in my right side (sometimes in my knuckles, shoulder, etc. like a jolt of pain). There are times throughout the day where I feel incredibly out of breath. As I sit here typing this, my right forearm aches. I am trying my best to keep an open mind about the situation, but everything seems to be getting worse. I do have a few questions right away. First, would symptoms just appear so suddenly and progress like this? Second, would you notice weakness before atrophy or can muscles waste without noticing weakness? I am a 20 year old male. Any guidance would be incredibly helpful.

Hi Pandr. The odds of any of your symptoms being ALS at your age is EXTREMELY small. Have you read through the stickies at the top of the page. I think a lot of your concerns are addressed there.

Thank you for your input. I did read through them and they have definitely helped me stay positive though the process of different tests. My neuro mentioned an emg if the spinal mri doesn't yield any answers. Like you mentioned, my age just doesn't lend itself to considering als. No family history as well. my mri is later today and a follow up appointment will surely follow. Here's to hoping I get some answers soon.

I'm happy to say there is not a single ALS symptom in what you describe.

Your doctors are following a good process to figure out what is going on, so keep working with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back