Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
BE
City
Zonhoven
Good day/evening, everyone.

Before starting my story, I'd like to point out a couple of things:
- First of all, I'd like to apologize in advance for any possible grammatical/spelling mistakes. English isn't my first language.
- I'd like to thank everyone on this side who has been (be it directly or indirectly) dealing with ALS. My heart goes out to all of you. And I really respect you for trying to help out people on this forum. I do admire your strength.
- I did read the sticky note saying "READ BEFORE POSTING", and therefore I know that chances of me having ALS as a 22 year old girl are very slim. However, there are still some things I've been quite insecure about, and because these worries keep me up at night and hinder me in my everyday activities, I decided to ask about it. Please do bear with me for a while.
- This is a pretty lengthy post.

I guess the symtoms started 2/3 weeks ago. I suddenly woke up to a feeling as if my left hand had considerably weakened. However, this was just a feeling. I could still use it, but my (what I assume) muscles started tingling whenever I tried grabbing things, making it extremely uncomfortable. I did worry about ALS, but also knew that ALS didn't start with a feeling of weakness, but actual weakness, so I ignored it. Instead, I tried focusing on different things. I had been stressing out for a couple of weeks concerning my health back then, so I figured it might have been my anxiety and stress causing this feeling of weakness.
2 days later, the feeling was still there, and it had even spread to my left leg. Again, I wasn't experiencing actual weakness. I could move around without any big problems. I also started having fasciculations in that same leg, but they stopped when I moved, so I tried to ignore those as well. (it was still annoying, but it wasn't hindering me all that much).

After some more days of waiting, I decided to see a doctor. Even if it was just to assure me a little that there really was nothing wrong with me. Now, I am currently residing in a different country, so I quickly noticed that explaining all my symptoms was instantly a lot more difficult in another language. Nevertheless, I managed, and the doctor seemed a bit worried, so he wanted me in later that week for an MRI. That, of course, started feeding my anxiety a little bit.
Eventually, I didn't get the MRI. There's a little thread of iron attached to the back of my teeth, and it would mess with the results of the MRI. I opted for an appointment with a neurologist.

I did tell one of my teachers about my worries. She instantly suggested to meet up with her in the weekend so she could bring me to her local doctor. So far I've only been at hospitals, and she figured talking with a normal doctor about my worries would somehow relief me of my stress. I agreed.
At the doctor's office, I had to describe my symptoms, and he wanted to test the strength in my hands. The pressure in my left hand was 30, and in my right hand 25. Overall a bit weak, but nothing to worry about. Especially since I'm left-handed. Alright.

Later that week, I started experiencing cramps, like when I held a pen in my left hand for a while, or when I stood on my toes for a couple of seconds (strangely, only in my left foot). The same goes for my left calve.
I decided to mention this to the neurologist I was meeting 2 days later.

Yesterday was my appointment with the neurologist. He tried testing my strength, the same way the doctor had tried not even a week earlier. This time, my left hand only gave 22, and my right hand the same. Ok, weird. Even though I had always just blamed it on a week feeling, my strength in my left hand was actually rapidly dropping. He also tested my reflexes, and the strength in the rest of my body. He didn't seem to find any problems there, but I notice that the reflexes in my left side were somehow weaker than in my right side? Moreover, when I mentioned the strength test in my left hand, he just laughed and said "At least you don't have fasciculations". Which, I have. Nowadays, the twitching has spread all over my body, but mostly my left side. I also did mention that, and got only silence in return.
I got my blood checked, and have to go back there in a month, but until then, I'll be forced to just wait.

The cramps has gotten worse. Simply putting my upper arm against my knee can cause pain in both my upper leg and upper arm. When I lie down, my back hurts (like cramps). When I use my hands, they start hurting (mostly left). I noticed it's become more difficult to put strength in my thumb, like, for instance, when I try to open a bottle.
Now, I know cramps aren't usually a sign of ALS, but while scrolling through some posts on here I saw someone say they experienced cramps before they were diagnosed with ALS.
The weakness in my left hand is also worrisome. And lately I've been extremely tired, unable to get up in the morning and falling asleep about anywhere.

For all I know, this is all due to stress accumulating in my body. But even in times of no stress, these muscle cramps and the weakness continues. As I said before, I know chances of me dealing with ALS are small, but that doesn't keep me from worrying about it. And as long as there's even the slightest chance/worry about it, my stress will increase and therefore my situation will (possibly) get worse.
So that's why I decided to ask someone who actually knows a thing or two about ALS about my situation. Should I push for an EMG? Or is there something else I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I don't feel this sounds one bit like ALS. I would almost never say you should push for an EMG. Do what the neurologists ask of you. If the MRI for example was something critical to have, I think you would have been told to get that metal off the back of your teeth and get it done. Beware of the "he had cramps before he was diagnosed and now I have cramps" type of thinking that anxiety can lead you into. In neurological conditions, one person may have had an deep craving for Cheetos prior to diagnosis. It does not even mean it's related, let alone that it has anything to do with your situation.

Relax and do what your doctor recommends.

Last edited:
Dear Lkaibel,

Thank you for the quick reply! I really appreciate it.
I figured that it is indeed anxiety that is playing a big role in this. I did get some medication for panic attacks (unfortunately, they don't really take the pain, fasciculations and weakness away) and am currently looking for help with my anxiety (but as I said, this is a lot more difficult in a different country). I am definitely planning to continue this when I get back to my own country.

I also kind of forgot to mention this, but I've noticed some changes in my hands. The wrinkles in my right hand are getting deeper, but I think this doesn't really indicate anything?

Lastly, I've been scrolling through your post on this forum section earlier, and I would like to say I'm so sorry. I figured you must be going through a rather difficult time. I really hope everything is going to be fine, and I'm so sorry for my selfish post on here. But I really hope you're doing fine.

Hi there. Doesn't sound like ALS at all but it does sound like anxiety. Trying to match symptoms to a rare terminal illness and finding that it keeps you awake at night and hinders daily activity is a problem, especially at 22.

I can only guess based on your post that you are student in a foreign country which sounds extremely stressful. You should find someone to talk to about your anxiety and focus on enjoying life and the experiences that you are having.

Best of luck!

Thank you, Starente15.

It's true that I had been stressing out for a while, but lately I wasn't feeling particularly anxious/stressed concerning my symptoms, yet the muscle cramps and weakness continued.
I really hope I am not dealing with ALS here.

I am currently looking for help concerning my anxiety.

Hello once again.

I'm really starting to get worried about my situation. I did forget to mention this, but lately I've been having trouble with swallowing as well. For instance, when I drink something, I can feel it slide down my windpipe (which I'm sure, is not what it is supposed to do).
The cramps and pains all over my body are getting worse as well.
Are there perhaps some more people who can provide me with their opinion? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again.

It would be ill advised to seek strangers' opinion on the internet for such an important thing as breathing and swallowing issues. A trained medical practitioner is best suited. You have also been given the expert and considered opinions and advice from people on this forum already that what you are experiencing is not ALS. Please seek proper medical help.

You keep coming back with "I also forgot to mention this..." and adding more symptoms. You sound like you have health anxiety. But only a doctor can tell you for sure what your symptoms indicate.

Strength testing on a numeric scale is heavily subject to anxiety and the eye of the beholder. ALS doesn't present in a matter of weeks as you describe. If anything, I'd bet on a virus. But as you raise the stakes so high to the level of "slightest chance," I doubt you will be satisfied until your general anxiety is better addressed, so I'd focus on that.

And that will be easier if you can focus on hydration, nutrition (e.g. B vitamins, iron, electrolytes), stress reduction and sleep (reading about unilateral arm/leg difficulties always calls the importance of a good mattress and room temperature to mind), all of which improve with physical activity and social interaction. Finally, I doubt your not knowing the language would matter if you would like to volunteer for an afternoon serving the elderly and/or mobility-impaired, which will give you the chance to put things into perspective.

Best,
Laurie

Anxiety or stress can cause every single one of those symptoms you describe. You don't have ALS. Staying logged on to this site will only make your anxiety increase. Please take the advice of Laurie above and the others. Best of luck to you. I'm sorry but we really can't help you anymore then that on here. We are a ALS support group and none of us think you have ALS at all. Kim

Dear Shiftkicker, Igelb and Skipper66,

Thank you so much for all the advice you've given me. I'm so sorry to bother you all with my worries/anxiety. I'm currently trying to deal with it a bit better by moving around a lot and just trying to not stay at home so I can ponder over all of my symtoms.
It's true that I have a bad case of health anxiety. I'm also trying to keep that in mind. I've noticed the twitching especially occurs when I'm stressed out and worrying. I'm just going to wait for the results of my blood sample.

Thank you so much once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back