Friend was DX
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
City
Green Bay
Hello,

I am a 23 year old healthy male. Was evaluated by a neurologist yesterday for an unrelated issue. Upon my neuro exam, he noted that I had hyperreflexia in both of my legs. He mentioned the possibility of myelopathy but also said there's a 90:10 chance that it's normal for my reflexes. He ordered a cervical/thoracic MRI which I am having done this upcoming Monday.

How severe does this sound? He mentioned the possibility of MS and ALS, so that got me a little worried. Any words to put my mind at ease are appreciated.

Thank you.

At 23 with just one vague symptom I can't imagine why a neuro would 'mention' ALS.

Put your fears aside and go with the testing ordered, but I'd be incredibly surprised if it was ALS, honestly.

Brisk reflexes on both sides is normal in many people. My neuro has very brisk reflexes and doesn't worry about it at all.

J, neither is likely given your age/gender. Not sure why he'd bring them up. Hyperreflexia, esp. bilateral, in the absence of any functional limitation, is unlikely to amount to much. Be at ease.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back