State: NY
Interest: Other
mamaoftwo is on a distinguished road
City: larchmont
State: NY
Interest: Other
mamaoftwo is on a distinguished road
Default Is this really possible?

I saw this on another site about ALS and thought I would share. Thoughts? Is it real, is it even vaguely possible. I have heard of people stabilizing but never people getting better.

Success Story
by: Steve J. on Wed, Jun 06 2007

My Father was diagnosed in April 2006 with ALS. The symptoms for him really started in January 2006 when he could not grasp things correctly and he kept falling. After being diagnosed in April 2006 he became worse by the week. We as a family could not keep up with the medical equipment that he needed. First it was a walker, then a wheel chair then a bed.

By August 2006 he was told he had 3 months because the ALS was affecting his lungs. By August 2006 he had a feeding tube, could barely talk, could barely move his hands, could not walk, could not swallow his own saliva. The family came over to say thier goodbyes. Then, graciously, he started rebounding and getting better. Slowly he started having more energy and started being able to eat again. Then he started breathing better. By December 2006 he started to walk again. Now, June 2007, he is walking every where, upstairs, downstairs. We even went to the beach last weekend.

He went to a major medical center and the doctors were absolutely amazed that he was actually getting better. They told him to keep doing what he was doing. Now they said he still has ALS, but he has his life back. My reason for sharing this is, no matter how bad ALS gets, do not quit. There is always hope, and it is possible to get better no matter what else you read. When you do get better, appreciate all aspects of life and be as productive as you can. Thanks for hearing my Dadís story!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:04 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Edmonton
State: Alberta
Diagnosed: 10/1993
Interest: It's only a part of my life, not my whole being!
Mike27 is an unknown quantity at this point
City: Edmonton
State: Alberta
Diagnosed: 10/1993
Interest: It's only a part of my life, not my whole being!
Mike27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything is possible!

Good story! Whether that fella had ALS or not, the bottom line is- never quit!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: lopatcong NJ
State: newjersey
Diagnosed: 7/1999
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
patricia1 is on a distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: lopatcong NJ
State: newjersey
Diagnosed: 7/1999
patricia1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaoftwo
I saw this on another site about ALS and thought I would share. Thoughts? Is it real, is it even vaguely possible. I have heard of people stabilizing but never people getting better.

Success Story
by: Steve J. on Wed, Jun 06 2007

My Father was diagnosed in April 2006 with ALS. The symptoms for him really started in January 2006 when he could not grasp things correctly and he kept falling. After being diagnosed in April 2006 he became worse by the week. We as a family could not keep up with the medical equipment that he needed. First it was a walker, then a wheel chair then a bed.

By August 2006 he was told he had 3 months because the ALS was affecting his lungs. By August 2006 he had a feeding tube, could barely talk, could barely move his hands, could not walk, could not swallow his own saliva. The family came over to say thier goodbyes. Then, graciously, he started rebounding and getting better. Slowly he started having more energy and started being able to eat again. Then he started breathing better. By December 2006 he started to walk again. Now, June 2007, he is walking every where, upstairs, downstairs. We even went to the beach last weekend.

He went to a major medical center and the doctors were absolutely amazed that he was actually getting better. They told him to keep doing what he was doing. Now they said he still has ALS, but he has his life back. My reason for sharing this is, no matter how bad ALS gets, do not quit. There is always hope, and it is possible to get better no matter what else you read. When you do get better, appreciate all aspects of life and be as productive as you can. Thanks for hearing my Dadís story!
I dont think he has ALS and if he does I would love to know what he is doing to reverse it Pat
Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 AM #4 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003
Al is on a distinguished road
Forum Moderator

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003
Al is on a distinguished road

Probably not Pat but at least he's not trying to sell snake oil as a cure.
AL.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, back, bed, breathing, chair, diagnosed, equipment, falling, family, father, feeding, feeding tube, hearing, hope, life, medical, medical equipment, saliva, story, swallow, symptoms, walker