Old 06-04-2016, 05:59 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Philadelphia
State: PA
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Worriedguy is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Throat clearing and bulbar ALS

Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have a question about some symtpoms I have been having. Recently I got a head cold or sinus infection. There is a good amount of post nasal drip that I have been experiencing. However the post nasal drip started back in April. I would find myself clearing my throat here and there. Last Wednesday I started sneezing and getting a sore throat and my symptoms turned into this sinus or cold infection. I find myself clearing my throat, however I find myself only able to clear the left side of the throat. The right side doesn't really clear. I do sometimes get a heavy feeling on that side. I have also been coughing a lot but that's probably due to the mucus from the cold or whatever.

I can talk just fine, although sometimes my voice sounds strained. Swallowing food, water or saliva isn't really an issue. When I swallow just saliva however, the right side does feel like there is mucus there. It's just when I clear my throat it seems to just be the left hand side. I do not believe I am slurring as nobody has told me I sound drunk. My uvula is tilted a little to the left which I am not sure if that means anything. I did a bad thing and searched Google and wondered if I am suffering from Vocal Cord Paralysis which I heard can be a sign of this disease.

I am 30 with no family history of ALS.

Thanks to any and all help.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:01 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Throat clearing and bulbar ALS

What did your doctor and ENT say?
Old 06-04-2016, 06:04 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

I haven't been to my doctor yet at all. I just noticed this was going on a few days ago. This all started at the beginning of this week. I will schedule an appointment this Monday.

Is this an early sign of bulbar onset?
Old 06-04-2016, 06:15 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

honey if you are worried go see a doctor, that is the first thing to do, not ask strangers on the internet about a terminal disease.

NO ALS doesn't start this way, my husband died of bulbar onset ALS.

All the best with your doctor.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:22 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Affected,

I am terribly sorry for your loss. I shouldn't be searching the Internet for my symptoms. In all honesty this could all be in my head. My allergies do weird things to me this time of the year. I just got really worried awfully fast about it. Honestly I wouldn't have noticed it all if my mind was more distracted but I had time on my hands this week.

As I said everything else like speech and swallowing food and water is fine. I guess this is just the infection running its course or whatever.

Thank you and if a doctor suggests it could be something like this I'll post back here.

Take care.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:15 PM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

So according to you, this doesn't sound like a serious illness?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:24 PM #7 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of

Please see your doctor- they really are the best people to help you with your health concerns.

You have already received an answer from someone who absolutely knows bulbar ALS. If you are concerned about another terrible disease, an ALS forum is not the place for you.

Best wishes with your doctor.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 PM #8 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Right I apologize. I don't think this is the place for me to be. This doesn't sound like ALS.

Thank you.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:56 PM #9 (permalink)

City: California
State: California
Diagnosed: 04/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
diagnosed2016 is on a very distinguished roaddiagnosed2016 is on a very distinguished road
City: California
State: California
Diagnosed: 04/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
diagnosed2016 is on a very distinguished roaddiagnosed2016 is on a very distinguished road

If you had vocal paralysis you wouldn't be able to phonate speech. It sound like you have a sinus infection. Go to your ENT.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:54 PM #10 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Right I would t be able to talk basically is what you are saying. I can talk and eat and drink just fine. I looked into it too much and got concerned. I have been able to clear my right side a bit tonight but I don't think it's anything serious. My mom gave me this sinus infection and she still has it. In fact her doctor put her on an anti biotic. Mine has cleared up a bit but post nasal drip is still here and a cough. This isn't ALS related it seems so I think I'll see myself out. Thanks everyone and take care.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:17 AM #11 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

You are still logged in hours later - honest hon you are good to go. Shut the door firmly on your way out and have a long life.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, back, bulbar, bulbar als, cold, coughing, family, family history, food, mucus, paralysis, saliva, swallowing, symptoms, voice