Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Ballston Lake
First, thank you for listening. I am a single mom of two girls with autism, and I am praying nothing is really wrong.

In short, bronchitis in March...still coughing. Hoarse voice that does not improve. Sometimes when I try to speak, so hoarse that nothing comes out. Frequent choking on liquids and sometimes food. Sometimes liquids seem to go up my nose. Tremendous fatigue. Feeling of lump in throat.

Checked my tongue per the info post. I can move it easily and quickly without problems. It seems strong and normal. May twitch a little, hard to tell. No slurring of speech. No twitching or anything else in my body.

Not sure what kind of doctor to see. I just keep hoping my voice will recover and my cough go away. I do have asthma. The choking thing is very disturbing.

Many thanks.

Does not sound at all like ALS. See your pcp who can decide if you need to see an ENT and/or a pulmo or even a GI Drop ALS from your radar completely. Hope you feel better soon

Hello Nikki,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Is you conclusion based on how well I can move my tongue? I would presume that would make ALS unlikely.

You are very kind.

Hi scared. I also have asthma, repeated bouts of bronchitis and more recently, laryngitis where I lost my voice totally for almost 3 weeks.

I see a great pulmo for my breathing issues and he told me that my food allergies were causing 'silent' reflux, i.e., no pain, which was irritating my vocal chords and causing a lump in the throat feeling. Might be another avenue to explore.

Bronchitis takes time to get over, and choking is normal. I have gotten bronchitis many times. Years ago I got it and lost my voice for about 3 weeks and then did not have my normal voice for about a month longer. Having asthma, then bronchitis and two daughters with autism - no wonder you are so tired.

One symptom such as this does not constitute having ALS. ALS is rare, and it takes time to get a diagnosis. There are many diseases/illness that a person can have before they finally state you have ALS. Doctors/Neurologists would put you through many, many tests before they would diagnose you with ALS.

It took two years for me to get diagnosed and I had falls, drop foot, balance issues, dropping things, and now some choking problems. If the choking came first, I would have never thought I would be diagnosed with ALS. My concern came when my quality of life was affected by my lack of getting around, nearly killing myself with close calls of falling, and not being able to hold onto things. Even then, I did not think I had ALS, and, to be honest, I'm still hoping they are wrong. Wishful thinking.

Hope you get well soon.

Hugs,
Deb

Silent reflux can cause ALL your symptoms. There's a book called "Dropping Acid" that deals with silent reflux with lifestyle modifications and diet. An ENT or gastro can help.

I'm going to check that book out Kim, thanks! I have major problems with it, i.e., wheezing, sore throats. I'm currently trying a diet change and it does help, just hard to stick with.

Thank you all so much for your kindness and patience in answering. I went to my GP yesterday, and she thinks it's probably GERD, Asthma, allergies, or all three. She's sending me for a barium swallow test. Hopefully all will be well. Trying to drink and eat cautiously, but still choking a bit.

Plus she had me move my tongue, eye brows and smile. And said my neuro reflexes seemed normal.

Many thanks again.

Re: Bulbar Symptoms? Update - barium swallow

Hello All and many thanks again for your kindness. Had the barium swallow this morning and the radiologist said his preliminary opinion was it looked normal. Does that rather definitively rule out Bulbar ALS given the other information I shared. Many thanks again

It adds to the conclusion we had already said. No reason to fear ALS. Good luck and happy long life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back