Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Pa
City
Erie
Hello I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions about ALS atrophy of the hand. I'd like to thank all of you who newer before hand because I know your time is precious and I'm sorry if you've been afflicted with this illness my thoughts and prayers are there for you.
My question is can you have atrophy before weakness? I'm an 19 year old and there's a dent in my left hand between the index finger and thumb. I don't have any noticeable weakness at all. My left is my non-dominant hand though. And how common is it for a person under 25 to have SALS?
So question 1 can you have atrophy without weakness?
Questions 2 would atrophy show as a dent or any other way?
Question 3 how many people actually get SALS under 25?

Of yes I do have sporadic twitches throughout my whole body once in awhile as well I don't know if that is in anyway related at all.

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum section that is title PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.

Have you seen a doctor? That would be the first thing to do, then believe them.

You will not have ALS at 19 years old with a dent in your hand. Go get help honey.

I went to the hospital and they did a basic strength test on just my hand no reflex tests. The doctor said my strength was remarkable, and that he knew people with ALS. Is that a good enough response from a doctor to stop worrying about ALS?

Yes. Absolutely.

Best wishes

If you don't mind, my final question is can you have atrophy without weakness in ALS?

Sorry, M. We're really sure you don't have ALS, so we're going to use our time supporting people who are terminally ill and paralyzed. I hope you understand.

I'm sorry if I offended any, I just wanted to know your opinions on the matter because you all know the disease so well. Is there any place where I can donate to research for a cure on my way out?

You haven't offended at all. Some people who ask Do I Have ALS? really refuse to take "no-ALS" for an answer. That is a problem. You aren't.

Up top there's a big red Donate button. Thanks.

Atrophy question

Does atrophy come after the effected area is paralyzed? And does atrophy show up as a dent or the muscle shrinking all together?

I have a few more questions for the community. I understand I don't have ALS, but I was wondering if there was atrophy with ALS would it come after muscle or limb paralysis, and would it also happen to show as a dent or an entire muscle withered and gone?

This is not a health anxiety forum.

Why would you care or think to ask if you really believed the doctor and us no ALS? ( no don't answer on the forum but consider and be honest with yourself)

In ALS atrophy generally follows weakness and atrophy is NOT dents. The muscle shrinks until it is indeed withered

I'm sorry my last question is if I've been worrying about this for 4 months would I have almost lost function in my hand already?

Last answer - yes you would.

You are good to go - you can hit the big red donate button as you close the door to be cool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back