Lost a loved one
Country
Gr
State
Attika
City
Athens
Greetings to all
I want to thank you in advance for taking some of your precious time to read this post.
I am a 46 year old guy ,who lost his 78 year old beloved father to a very fast progressing als 4 months ago. The doctors said it was a sporadic case,since nobody else in the family had it.
Since he was diagnosed(sept 2015) i and my brother helped my mother and a nurse take care of him.
I am a very anxious person ,always thinking the worse..
I started worrying about every twitch ,which of course are many now. Having a number of minor (psychosomatic i think) health problems(sciatica ,stomach trouble etc) throughout my father's illness,i started having persistent twitching in the small muscle that moves the big toe in my right foot 3 weeks ago.
I waited and after 4 days,i freaked out and went ahead and had an emg on my right leg.The quads and the calf muscles where tested. It was totally clean. The nerve conduction study showed a block in a sensory nerve,the doctor said it is of no importance,regarding als.
4 days later i had a cramp on my left calf. This left the muscle sore and a week later i went to see an orthopedic. He tested me and said that the sciatic nerve is pressed on that side,so physical therapy was in order. The knee reflex was a bit decreased ,but strength was fine in both legs(walking on heels,toes etc).
And now to my main cause of concern.3 days ago,i had cramp like pain on my right calf this time.It has also some twitching. It is still sore. It is on the same calf i had the emg done 2 1/2 weeks ago. Wouldn't the emg have picked something up back then,if this is als?
I know the answer is yes,but some reassurance would be nice.
I am also freaking out thinking that the right calf is a bit smaller than the left(i know i am messed up).
Thank you and god bless(excuse me if my english is poor,i am from Greece)

As you say, the answer is yes, the EMG would have picked up a problem in your R calf.

I am sorry for the loss of your father. He would want you to live your own best life, taking care of the real health problems and not worrying about the rest.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for your response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back