Gen Practitioner Said it Moght Be ALS- Can I Delay Tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerrySunshine

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
I went to the doctor with some mild concerns thinking I might have had a transient ischemic attack. I have high cholesterol. ALS had never crossed my mind.

Doc did a neuro exam amd said, "I'm more concerned it might be ALS," and noted hypereflexia, changes in reflexes over time, and ataxia, which I had not noticed (not that I would have noticed, since I am not a doctor).

She referred me to a neuro and for imaging.

I'm not losing sleep over it right now. She's a great doctor, but she's not a neuro doc.

I can't think of any reason to actually go right away. Maybe I should postpone neuro and imaging appts to see if I get worse. I'm thinking that odds are it won't be ALS. But if
i rush out right away and have tests and its negative I might end up going through repeat tests that that could cause worry. If I put it off and see if I get significantly worse then the answers might be more clear cut and I won't have as many appts.

Is there any downside to delaying these tests and consults? How common is it for family docs to be this up front about a concern? What are the physical signs that I really need these appointments? What is the point to early Dx of an untreatable disease?

I'm thinking maybe wait a few months and see if I really develop actual disability.

Go to another general doctor and get checked.
You probably have something that can be treated if caught early, hiding your head is not going to help if you could have treated something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back