Reason
Other
Country
AUS
State
Queensland
City
Brisbane
Those of you with twitching, cramping and any number of other motor, sensory and/or autonomic symptoms, please get your vitamin B6 levels checked and consider whether a statin drug may be causing or aggravating your issues.

I have an underlying neuropathy that was almost symptom free (I was unaware of it) until I took Lipitor, which gave me painful muscle damage in my feet. My dad had some issues, so what I have is possibly hereditary like CMT.

In my efforts to fix the muscle damage I started taking various health supplements and ended up with a toxic level of B6 in my blood.

For about a year I thought I was coming down with ALS - twitches, cramps, spasms, vibrations, even some atrophy. Other symptoms were weak legs, difficulty breathing, tongue biting, bee stings, numbness and tiny light flashes. I also had a couple of brief pressure palsies with complete paralysis of my right arm.

I am mostly recovered now, healing took a couple of years. I still twitch and get occasional foot cramps.

High B6 should be ruled out among twitchers, as many supplements have megadoses, and some people don't process even small amounts of B6 because of enzymopathies.

Statins also should be used with great care.

I found plenty of others with the same story, so do not think my experience was unique.

The great irony of course is that if I had stayed away from doctors and pharmacies, I would have been fine ...

To those of you who do have ALS, my heart goes out to you. I know what it is like to look at your kids with that awful feeling of limitations. Make the best of your time! And good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you are mostly recovered

Super Cramp, is there anyway I can private message you? How do you do that on this site? High B6 was one of the few abnormal blood tests (my level was twice the high end of normal range) that I've had to date other than Low Vitamin D. I wasn't supplementing, taking energy drinks, or on medication so I have no idea how my levels got elevated. I would like to chat with you further about this as being a root cause of some of my symptoms and tips I can maybe do to lower my levels if you have any. Thank you.

Hmj you do not have private message prviliges nor does Supercramp. You can discuss this by leaving a message on Spercramp's page. Click on his user name and select profile from drop down. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back