Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 PM #1 (permalink)

City: The Hague
State: south holland
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
dt1993 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Need your opinion please

Hey guys!

I'm sorry for posting this message. I know you all have your own things to worry about and I respect you guys the utmost, so I'll try to keep this brief.

I am 22 year old asian male student, who has some weird symptoms over the past few months. It actually started out a year ago where my muscles in my arm was acting weird. What happens was I tried to flex my right arm from a standing position to put my phone to my ear, but it felt that my biceps were over contracting. What I also further noticed was that I could only flex my arm either fast or slow, not intermediately. The over contracting sort of stopped, but the fast and slow flexing is still happening, when I am in a standing position (not in sitting position).

The problem now is I am having troubles sometimes moving a glass of water to my mouth from a standing position where i have to flex my arm. It is a weird feeling, because it is kind of a clumsy movement. I also noticed that my biceps where shaking when I flex in a standing position, without even holding anything.

I don't see any real atrophy however in my muscles, and I'm losing a bit of weight, because I am eating really bad lately. So I don't really know what to think about it. To be honest I am a bit of a hypochondriac, because I am a biomedical student and I do have some signs of anxiety, that is making me insecure too, especially with the symptoms . I don't really know what to do, because I just moved abroad to another country to study, and I feel so scared by all of this. I hope you guys can give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance, and god bless you all!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:53 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need your opinion please

If it started a year ago and you're still using the arm, I wouldn't worry. If you're going to keep worrying, see a GP.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:45 AM #3 (permalink)

Thank you for answering Kim, I truly appreciate your answer!

Yeah, I'm still using my right arm, but I also have another problem that I noticed. My body is currently twitching intensely. It's like I have this nervous weird feeling in parts of my body in the muscle and if I want to get rid of this feeling I have to twitch, feels so weird. What I also noticed is that I'm also struggling with the one foot balance test, my legs are wobbly when I want to balance especially when my eyes are closed. It is even worse on my left side( I am right handed), I don't really know what to do, right now, but I've made a gp appointment for monday to check this out. What do you guys think? I feel like I'm going crazy .

I feel so paranoid that I'm even doing pushups, and lifting heavy stuff.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:36 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing you wrote sounds like ALS. But you do have two strikes against you: you're a med student and a hypochondriac, so I expect you'll think you have a lot of diseases before you graduate.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 AM #5 (permalink)

Thank you Atsugi, I have one more question though, is muscle shakiness a symptom of ALS, because I think the problem is mostly that my muscles shake when I do something.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:03 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

hon if you are a med student in truth, read the sticky - it is written very clearly to explain everything. I suspect however that you need to see a psychiatrist and evaluate your mental health and put a strategy in place to get you back on track.

The sticky was written so we we don't have type the same thing over and over when the same questions are asked, I'm sure you understand.

Good luck, you really don't have ALS
Old 05-20-2016, 06:39 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

If you're doing push ups and lifting heavy things, I'd expect your muscles to shake. That's what happens.

Stop worrying about ALS and get your anxiety treated.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:50 AM #8 (permalink)

Thanks Kim, I know that doing excercises will make your muscle shake, but the problem is, is that my muscle shake when i flex my biceps from a standing position without holding anything. That's the thing that makes me worried. Sorry for being a pain, I'm just a nervous wreck. thank you for answering though.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:04 PM #9 (permalink)

Sorry to post again, but my right arm sometimes feels sometimes clumsy compared to my left arm, I'm a bit freaking out .
Old 05-21-2016, 12:21 PM #10 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute

If you have not seen a doctor already about this, please do so. While the internet is an informative and helpful place, strangers are not able to help you with health issues such as yours. A doctor can. Three members have told you "no, not ALS." If you are unable to accept that answer, see a doctor to have them examine you properly.

Best of luck

F
Old 05-24-2016, 02:01 AM #11 (permalink)

Ok sorry tonpost again, but ive been witnessing more symptoms. Yesterday i felt like a pill was stuck in my throat and i sill have that feeling and now my voice is hoarse. I feel like this is undeniable now, please help and give me your opinion. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:26 AM #12 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

dt instead of posting here go see a doctor please. Rather than you 'witnessing' symptoms, a doctor needs to examine you.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 PM #13 (permalink)

Ok guys, thanks for all you opinions and answer, so i went to the doctor, and she directed me to a neurologist and they did a blood test and a ct scan. I asked her about my right arm, about the overcontracting and about my muscle tremor if it's ALS and she told me that it's probably not. 1. because She sees nothing wrong with the muscles. 2. I am way too young to have ALS. She did advise me to get a EMG to sort everything out, and I will, but I'll do that later.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:36 AM #14 (permalink)

I do still have problems though, my right arm feels heavy now and the whole right arm has the burning sensation, even during daily activities like cooking/cleaning the house, It just seems a bit off, idk guys. I'll just have to wait untill the emg. I hope it's not ALS. Still scared, I'm so sorry that I have been pushing for answers to you guys, I do appreciate the work you guys do.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 AM #15 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt1993 View Post
my right arm feels heavy now and the whole right arm has the burning sensation, even during daily activities like cooking/cleaning the house,
The good news is that ALS never presents with these symptoms.

Hopefully the neurologist will get to the bottom of it as it sounds like something very treatable.
Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, arm, atrophy, eating, flexing, hope, movement, muscles, problem, scared, secure, shaking, student, symptoms