Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Us
State
Al
City
Birmingham
I have been reading posts here for a while and I had my first neurologist visit today. I am a 32 year old male. I have had fascicalatuons primarily in my calves and feet (but randomly firing off all over my body) for the last two months. The neuro and I were talking about symptoms (no weakness or atrophy) and he was telling me he thought it could be BFS as he went for his rubber hammer.

He moved quick hitting me in my tendons. He poked me in the wrists to see if I felt vibration in my hand (I did in my left). He came back and kept hitting and shaking my left arm. He told me I have brisk reflexes. He said that some people just have them and that he would schedule an EMG and nerve conduction test (it's in 5 weeks for my "2 legs and 1 arm" as it appears on the paper work.)

Guys, I am completely freaking out. I don't have anyone I can talk with about this. I have never had anxiety like this before. I just want to lay in my bed and cry. Any words of wisdom, advice, or compassion would be welcomed.

Brisk reflexes are common especially if one is anxious. Twitches are also common. It sounds to me like typical bfs. Consider bfsrecovery forum while you wait for the emg, probably ordered in a misguided attempt to reassure you. No weakness, no atrophy, no reason to fear ALS

Everyone in my family has brisk reflexes. My neuro has brisk reflexes AND twitches in his legs. I wouldn't think about ALS if there is no clinical weakness. Another thing in your favor is that the twitches are not localized.

Nikki,

Thank you for the reply. I know the chances are slim. The research I did after the meeting on asymmetrical brisk reflexes (I guess that's why in only getting one arm looked at) is disheartening to say the least.

I hope the best for you and your family as you go through this journey.

As Nikki says, no reason to rush to judgment here. Fascics that are bodywide, coupled with a lack of weakness, stiffness and atrophy, are really no reason for concern. You might ask about bloodwork for nutritional deficiencies or just make a banana smoothie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back