Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Parkland
Hello everyone
I am coming back to this site after two years.unfortunately things got a lot worse in these two years...I had a question 2 years ago my emg came out clean..it started with muscle atrophy pain and then weakness..since emg came oout clean ..we never went back to als path.was managing with physiotherapy and doctors kept looking into rheumatological disorders..I went to another Neuro and he says I need emg.to rule out ALS.he observed clinical weakness,muscle atrophy ( I knew I had this)and hyperflexia ..is there anyone who had clean emg first and then second emg diagnosed als

Hi
I went back and read your old posts I have to agree with those who answered you ( most of whom are now dead if they had ALS then) it did not sound like ALS then. 2 years is a long time to be undiagnosed. A significant percentage of PALS are dead within 2 years. Even more are wheelchair bound and or unable to speak, swallow or use their hands in that time frame.
However your neuro feels an EMG is warranted to " rule out"

To answer your question. Yes there are people who had normal emgs and end up with ALS. Anyone who started with a provisional diagnosis of PLS and ended up with ALS likely falls into that category BUT they were told they had motor neuron disease based on their clinical exams even while their emg was ok. There are reports of others with supposedly normal emgs to start. The people whose stories I know first hand were told right along there was something seriously wrong neurologically and were followed by the neurologist closely.

Unfortunately until you have the EMG you are not going to get a definite answer. When is the EMG?

Thank you Nikki for the response
My emg is on the 25th of may.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back