Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Ohio, US
City
Medina
The title says it all. I've been having problems for the since 2009-2010. You would think that I would be over thinking that it's ALS, but this has me over the top now. I'm very frustrated, and out of options and I really need some help. I'm going crazy over here. I am 40 years old. 2009-2010 I had a wanted to get into shape. Went out on my bike and the crank broke. I was 30 lbs over weight and had to push the thing home. Came home and stayed up late. I didn't go to bed that night until 4 in the morning. When I went to bed that night I a funny shaking all over one side of my body. It freaked me out, but I passed out. Woke up the next morning and went to the hospital. I had a numbness one one side of my body then. And it lasted until now. From then until 2012 my dippy neuro tested me Mris but never a EMG. He did all kinds of tests. At first he thought MS. After a year, said it wasn't MS cause he didn't find any change in the MRIs after a year. So I stopped going after 2 years of no answers. Then 4 months ago I get vertigo. I go back with Vertigo. That's all I had. He says I have migraines and puts my on Topamax. From then until now I've been in the ER 5 times with weakness. I can't spell I get confused, all kinds of things which I know is from the meds. The one sided weakness never went away. The thing that is now freaking me out is that on my forearm I have lost my muscle! I showed it to him and he said well it doesn't really look that bad. My GP said find another neuro which will take 5 month. Was back in the ER with heaviness in my arms and weakness today, and they say there is a clear difference, must be something neurological, so now I'm back to freaking out about Als! I have vertigo, one sided body numbness, now muscle loss, and it's been going on for years. I'm trying my best to get a nuero that will do more than throw meds at me. Does anyone think this sounds like Als?

No, it doesn't sound like ALS.

Read the sticky.

Numbness and vertigo do not sound like ALS, but I would follow your GP's advice and find another neuro. Seriously, forget about ALS and don't try to diagnose yourself. Go with an open mind, and perhaps with a written chronology of what you've gone through, and give your new neuro a shot.

You're much better off if you stop reading about ALS in the meantime.

Best of luck

Becky

Doesn't sound like ALS. The drug you are taking can cause numbness, funny thinking.....they nickname it "dopamax" and "stupamax."
I would go to a new neuro who can figure out what you have. There are other treatments for migraine associated vertigo and they involve diet. Read the book "Heal your Headache." That's how I got rid of my migraines 10 years ago.

What about the dead muscle on my arm? This is what's freaking me out. With everything else I'm worried about how sudden this has happened. Anything else cause this?

Thank you! I will say I have tried to stop reading about Als, but I'm a lunatic and I know I'm a lunatic and I can't stop reading about it.....but I will try harder.

Last edited:
Hi there-

The people here are experts on ALS, and three really knowledgeable people have offered their response. They can't help you with diagnosis for other things. A neurologist is your best bet. Keep working with doctors to find out what is causing your symptoms.

Best wishes

F

I also want to say, just really quickly, I think you guys are amazing. I've been reading around this forum, other topics, other posts. I have to say first that it is really nice that you take the time to talk to boneheads like me, but also reading the things said here, something amazing.

Shiftkicker, I'm sorry and you're right, thank you. I'll move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back