Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WA
City
Tacoma
Hello - I'm a 43 year old male. 2 months ago I started noticing weakness in my left leg while riding my bike. The weakness then spread to my arms quickly. The weakness does not seem to have progressed, but also has not gotten better. No signs of clinical weakness, but I definitely can notice my left leg feeling weak when I ride my bike and don't ride as far as a I used to. I went to neurologists and had a normal exams and had an EMG on my arms and legs. The EMG was clean except for some likely benign fasciculations in my calf muscles. Also had an MRI and blood work - all normal.

During the last few weeks, I've noticed my abdominal muscles getting weaker. Like its more difficult to sit up in bed. The muscles right below my ribs also get painful when I sitting for a period of time. They feel much better when laying down, standing, or walking. I've also has on-and-off twitching in my abdominal muscles (along with other parts of my body - calves and feet).

So instead of Googling this, I wanted to ask some questions here. My questions are as follows:

1. Can an EMG performed on arms and legs pick up ALS issues with stomach muscles?
2. Is there a way to perform an EMG on stomach muscles?
3. Can my stomach weakness be an early indication of ALS? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the help.

1. Yes.
2. I've read one doctor who said he wouldn't rely on it.
3. No. No.

One important thing you mentioned is that your legs "felt" weak. But they continued to perform (poorly, but they kept moving). ALS doesn't "feel" weak. It only impacts the performance.

When I read your post, I remembered having those feelings as you describe. (Note that I am perfectly healthy and I do not have ALS at all.) In my case, it was all tension from work. Every bit of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back