Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Yulee
Good evening,

Like many people have posted here before, I am worried about twitching. I have read countless summaries and explanations online about why it is not ALS and is most likely BFS or some other benign condition. In my case, I think it may have something to do with vitamins and anxiety.

I am a 26 year old male with a pretty clean health history. I do have some IBS/stomach issues, but nothing serious. My maternal grandfather’s first cousin just passed away from ALS(hence some anxiety).

I’d like to talk about my symptoms to relieve some anxiety.

I first noticed a twitch in my right hand back last December(2015). It started in the muscle between my thumb and index finger. My finger would twitch up and down dozens of times per day. I must confess that I had just gotten out of the Navy and was worried about employment and taking care of my family; so my anxiety level was pretty high. I started taking GNC Megamen Sport vitamins again after some time not taking them. After I started taking the vitamins, the twitch went away almost completely. After a about a month, I had to take some Strength/ability tests for a physical at my new job. I passed with flying colors; however, something the nurse said caused some anxiety. During the pinch test, my right(dominant) side was noticeably weaker than my left. I didn’t think much of it, until I was sitting at a desk bored one day and started trying to “recreate” the pinch test. Pretty soon after I started worrying about that, I felt twitches in my right hand again. I thought maybe the vitamins were causing it this time so I stopped taking them. This time, they moved up in about a week until they were isolated to my right elbow. After a few weeks of that, they went body-wide. I know that this is almost certainly due to anxiety and stress. I went to the doctor anyway. He did the typical strength tests which were normal, obviously. He also ordered some blood-tests for some histologic reasons(I get raynaud’s syndrome when cold or stressed). Everything came back normal except my B12 was low. He told me to just take an otc B12 supplement. So, since then (March), I have been taking the B12 and eating more bananas so my potassium wouldn’t lower, something I read online says potassium takes a hit when B12 goes up. I also cut out virtually all dietary caffeine.

My twitches have improved some but they are still body-wide. I now have a mix of big ones, and small ones that feel like something tickling under my skin. I also get them in my face now. Also, I sometimes get a lumpy feeling in my throat and a feeling as if my throat will collapse on itself. My snoring is also getting a lot worse.

I should note that I have had absolutely NO real weakness anywhere. Just perceived and shakiness.

Did anybody else have this experience? Please tell me I’m crazy. Thank you for the chance to get this out of my mind!

-Palmer

Nup, not at all how ALS starts, no matter what you might dig up to read on the net.

Best keep working on your general health, hydration and maybe some counselling for the anxiety as you have a long life ahead of you.

It's fine you asked, now do remember we are supporting people with a terminal illness so our resources in this section are very limited.

Thank you for your response! I understand the nature of the forum. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the affected. Again, I truly appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back