Learn about ALS
Country
Us
State
New Jersey
City
Cedar Knolls
Hi All,

I was here awhile back, but still have questions I am hoping you can help me with.

Can you have respiratory onset with a clean EMG? What part of the body is tested for that?

I have CMT1A, but have unexplained expiratory muscle weakness. The muscles are only at 40%. My CMT neuro couldn't really explain it. I am still scared of ALS because of this, constant widespread twitches (face, shoulders, abs, arms, etc) and weight loss that I know is muscle, not fat. I really get out of breath when walking at a medium pace now and then get hoarse too.

I have had multiple EMGs, but am still worried. They have tested legs, arms, tongue (in, not under chin) and paraspinals. Again, could these be clean? I read on here at one point that some have had that happen?

I guess I should say it wasn't necessarily totally "clean," as they always pick up the CMT weakness and did pick up fasticulations in my legs once.

"Can you have respiratory onset with a clean EMG?" No "What part of the body is tested for that?" To be ALS it must show in more than one part of the body, look up El Escorial criteria for ALS.

Thank you. I really appreciate the reply. Yes, I was wondering if the fasticulations the EMG picked up in my legs counted as something. The latest doc also found a decreased gag reflex and some strange reflex/clonus in my right foot. I'm just really confused at this point. I will review the El Escorial criteria and listen to you about the multiple points requirement. Again, thank you for your thoughts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back