Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
cave junction
I have been lurking and I hesitate to post but I am going to. I will try to keep it brief.
Back in Dec. my walking started to change. I also kept getting bad cramps in my feet and calves. I figured I was tired or sore or just getting old(I am 41). I kept adjusting my gait and then my low back began to hurt. Went to my Pcp in February he order xray found a small(3mm) shift between my L4 and L5 sent me to spine dr. by this time my gait was bad scissoring and spastic with my feet and knees turned in. Spine doc ordered mri which came back fairly ok.
Around a week after that I noticed that my right hand would be weak and shakey sometimes, then husband noticed that my hands were loosing muscle...only the backs. At first the right was worse, now thwy are both the same. I have hollow spots around my thumbs and the outer edge and at my wrist.
The spine Dr. prescribed PT. and on the first visit he remarked how weak my legs and hip muscles are. I have very little strenghth at all my legs and feet shake with the effort of simple trying to lift them and I can't lift them with even slight resistance. Then I saw another dr at the urgent care for urine retention who suggested that I be seen by a neurologist, that i weeks since that last appointment I have begun to have fasciculations in various places, including my tongue, neck and chin. And I continue to lose strenghth and my handwriting(which was once was neat)has become sloppy and hard to accomplish.
The last week or so I have found myself sometimes gasping for air especially in bed at night. It has also become increasingly difficult to undress or roll over in bed.
I have scoured the internet looking for a cause and keep coming to ALS. I have desperately tried to find something else to explain and find nothing else that fit.
I guess I am wondering if this rings with anyone here.

When you say "weak," I know you mean that the muscle can do less than it used to, but how does it feel? Does it feel weak? Is there a burning sensation?

So do you have an appt w/ a neuro? Sounds like that's the next step. Another neurological explanation is more likely but either way, that's where I would head.

Best,
Laurie

True weakness. I shake like a body builder lifting past their limit. No pain, no burn, and no return of strength after rest. Progressively weaker. No numbness, no tingling either.

shoot, I went back and reread. I think I erased some of the post. I have app. with neuro on the 10th. They made me an appointment with the neurologist for the Als clinic.

Keep in mind that ALS is rare, and although you and I can't diagnose this over the Internet, there are still other conditions that might be the problem.

Good luck on the 10th. Write if you have questions.

what do the symbols mean under where it says rating?

there is the name of the post and then a tag looking thing and then on some there is other symbols one looks kinda like a trash can(?)

OH, I see. Those icons just give you information about the thread. If you hover over the tag looking thing, it shows you the tag words for the thread. Those are useful if you're going to use the search function. And if you hover over the trash can it says "two posts deleted" because two of the posts on this thread were deleted. (They weren't yours.)

Thank you Mike. And mostly thanks for listening(reading).

Here is a picture of my hand as of this morning my right hand will not straighten any more than this and my pinky won't go in together with the rest of my fingers. I am not skinny(5'7" and 190ish)...there is a lot of muscle missing there.

Attachments

• 20160423_105312-1.jpg
    20160423_105312-1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 703
I have a question about fasciculations. Are there always bad fasciculations with onset? Or can there be none or lesser amounts?

Another question.....does anyone get a weird electrical, bugs under skin crawly sort of feeling in localized areas? That is the best I can explain. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back