Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
XX
Hello. I'm back again. I understand that I'm supposed to stick to my original thread but it was closed.

Quick recap:symptoms started with fasiculations in Feb. of 2015. I have had increasing hand atrophy, foot problems, and shoulder weakness. (This is mostly in left hand side of body). I also have very brisk reflexes and some increased tone, whatever that means. However, this last week things have progressed. The fasiculations moved to my tongue. There is a little wasting at the sight of fasiculations. I also have a harder time talking slightly, but the fasiculations scare me. I sent the "video" to a doc at a neuromuscular clinic and she agreed to see right away again. Well, right away is over a month from now.

I know in my heart what this means And yes, these are true fasiculations at rest (and not at rest). Only on one side so far.

I have never had a tongue EMG. I had a okay limb EMG in October (and previous ones!!!). I also think they have ruled everything else out.

So, I guess I'm writing because I don't know what else to do. I contacted some local resources but it takes time. Thank you for the support.

Lea

Last edited:
Wish you the best. Tongue fasciculations can be ( and statistically are most likely) benign even at rest. I hope this is the case with you

This is my favorite reason for ALS:

"I am now worried that all that "shocking" [from EMGs] might have led to/caused a mnd."

Lea, if ALS caused your first symptom in Feb 2014 as you said, then you've had ALS for two years. Odds are you'd be dead by now, or at least really badly disabled.

Good luck. Sorry it's going to be a month before you will get some answers.

Atsugi, I understand that that might seem silly to you. You're right of course, probably multiple NCSs don't cause ALS. I think I was grasping...it is true that that people who are exposed to repetitive, low level electric shocks (such as electrians) have a documented increase in ALS cases, similar to the increase found in Gulf War veterans. And in the electricians' cases, it appears to be mostly limb (hand) onset. Of course, correlation doesn't equal causation, but the result is statically significant. (Electric fields have been investigated but show no correlation). No, I'm not an electrician, so I agree with you. Who knows the cause? I just know whatever going on with my body stinks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Not silly, Lea. Maybe just not on the same page, I guess. For instance, the electrician thing is intriguing, but I found no support for that. Do you have a reference?

Atsugi,
I also cannot find the journal article that I read when I typed that post a few months back, so I take back that statement completely. (I could find some controversy, but no good supportive research. In fact, the research failed to show a correlation).
Thank you. No need to spread misinformation. Sorry.
Lea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back