Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
North Dakota
City
Leeds
Hello, I am 16 years old. I get random muscle spasms all over my body. "Hot spots" I guess you could say is my right eye and right calve. My eye twitched all over for a week and now only the lower lid twitches. Also skin near my eye, its not tingling, but it feels really weird almost like tingling. I get calve cramps and read that ALS can cause that and got very worried. I don't think I have any muscle weakness and atrophy. My thighs feel kind of tight and sorta that sore feeling and slightly weak feeling but I can still do things. I get pains in my legs and my arms sometimes and even my hands. Sometimes my index finger on my right hand will tremor and when it does this it has a buzzing/vibration sensation. The muscle cramps/spasms are really freaking me out because I know ALS isn't sensory, but cramps can be caused by ALS by what I read. My right hand, my fingers feel stiff as well. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Didn't see any symptoms of ALS in your post.
16 years old? This is a disease for 50+. Never heard of a teenager with ALS.
Cramps can be caused by so many things; they are common. ALS is rare.
Did you ask your family doctor?

Hey there-

My son is your age. He recently went through a growth spurt that caused cramping and fatigue in the muscles of his legs and arms. Unfortunately, your muscles don't always grow in length at the same rate as your bones. Same with tendons and joints- which can get inflamed with the strain. Everything is under huge stress and your muscles have to get used to moving in different ways and moving heavier loads. Add to that your nutrition intake might not be up to the job required- magnesium, calcium and iron are all being used for growth, not function, so weakness and tremors would be reasonable. If you're super worried, go see your family doctor. They may have some advice about what supplements would be good for right now. And they would also be able to assure you about your concerns- ALS is really not a thing for teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back