Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
New york
I want to say about 16 month ago I started with excruciating pain in my right hand ( had that for about 4 month). As soon as that pain started I was experience pain in my left index finger, and thumb, like joint pain and nerve pain radiating up my fingers. After this days later, my limbs started jerking left, right arm, leg. Also was having like full body jerks. This all stop and I started have body wide twitches. Fast forward up to date, I have moments like minor panick attacks and can't breath. Now the same very fingers that were hurting me 16 month ago have clinical weakness. Had an EMG 12 months ago, came back normal. Does this sound like als?

Re: Do I have als?

No. The fact it began with excruciating pain is definitely not ALS, ALS doesn't hurt.
|Vincent

Vera, if the fingers have "clinical weakness" (lack of function that a physician can see), then likely you are seeing a neurologist for a definitive diagnosis, which we cannot provide here. But Vincent is right, ALS is not in the picture.

Best,
Laurie

Does any of these symptoms have a sign of als? Not even the clinical weakness on my thumb, index, middle ( left hand) index finge (right) I remind you all these fingers having been hurting here and there through these 16 months. Now they are weak. I've heard als hurts the hands, does it hurt in the beginning like my pain started? Does hurt both hand back and forth at the same time? Did it start in the fingers with pain? My toes hurt here and there now. I'm helpless

Vera, you're in NYC, full of docs who can help you feel better. You're only helpless if you want to be. Nothing you have said sounds like ALS.

This is not the place for you to find help -- it's there in NYC.

I made an appointment with the nuero for May 20 lgelb. I'm so
Nervous as u states that there will be difinit diagnoses. I can't see how all my symptoms I described doesn't sound like als. Can you please explain that to me? I'm just trying to prep myself. Isn't body wide twitches, clinical weakness, atrophy right hand point to motor, and not sensory? I'm confused

Last edited:

You started with pain. That is not the way ALS starts. PALS get pain sometimes for two reasons, mostly because the weakness has causes deformities like contaracturesand/ or the muscles are so weak they can't support the bones or 2) somewhat rare the disease has advanced so much that it has spread from the motor neurons to the sensory ones. In neither case do PALS have pain for a long time then weakness. It would be the reverse

Vera, everything in all your posts loudly scream "NOT ALS." I don't know how you got the impression that any of this had anything to do with ALS.

Twitches: Lots of conditions have twitches. The most common cause of twitching is stress, nervousness, anxiety, and your posts reek of anxiety.

Clinical weakness: I'm not sure what you think is weak, but most people get this wrong.

Pain: You mentioned a whole lot of pain before the weakness, and that's just not ALS. When you say excruciating pain in fingers AND toes, I think of a completely different type of disease. Your doctor will find that. It's not ALS>

Atrophy: Most folks see some difference between the left and right and say they have atrophy. There are different kinds of atrophy and different degrees. I'd be convinced if your hand was paralyzed, limp and useless for a few months, and THEN it showed atrophy. But that didn't happen.

Finally, there's that EMG. Sometimes, EMGs are incorrect, but your neurologist will decide if you need a new one.

Full body jerks: That's stress, plain and simple. But I'm not a doctor.

All of the folks who answered you here are pretty smart and experienced with ALS and we think you shouldn't worry about it. Relax and see your doctor to find out what is the problem.

Thanks Atsugi for your reply. What led me to believe I had Als was my twitching that didn't stop all over, the right hand pain, then the pain with the fingers. I'm going with clinical weakness as for what lgelb said ( lack of function) on some of my fingers. Clearly in the right and left index. I'm 31 years old. But again now I'm have to wait until May 20. My thumbs have tremors when I use them on my phone. Not sure if its lack of weakness or the tingly hands I've had for months now.

Have we given you enough answers?
Do you still believe you have ALS?

You have Atsugi. So I just got off the phone with the doctor. He stated the Emg was done on May 4 2015, along with nerve conduction test on my limbs and came back normal. He told told me to come in for an appointment instead of May 20 as the nuero has an opening as early as tomorrow. He's ordered an Emg already. Really? He has hasn't seen me in almost a year. Also said it could be many things as I stated my fingers situation and the weakness.. I'm so scared for tomorrow. Thanks for hearing me out and replying these pass few days to everyone.

My weak thumb ( left hand) has been hurting all day, has been twitching and you can clearly see it has lost muscle tone. How is weakness in my fingers, along with twitching on it, lost of muscle tone, and pain from moving it not an alarming sign? Mike any advice on when I see the nuero tomorrow?

Last edited:

Vera, those symptoms occur frequently with a hand problem. An EMG can test those nerves and you might need physical therapy, for example. Ordering an EMG doesn't mean at all that s/he thinks you have ALS. It is also very common for referred pain to irritate other nerve roots, then anxiety takes over and everything gets worse.

I absolutely do not see ALS in your posts, past or recent. I'm glad that you're getting followed up to see what treatment may help.

Best,
Laurie

Vera, to answer your question, I agree with Laurie. Your hand is a problem and should be seen, sooner the better. But you're not gonna die from it.

Tell your doctors about all of your concerns and let them sort it out. They're really well trained and most probably experienced with all of this.

Both of my hands are a problem. It's just not one hand. It's the left( middle finger, index(shows deformity not sure how long it's been there) and the thumb that's weak, throbbing, and twitching) right index finger weak and deformed! Doesn't seem like this is hand issues on both sides! On my way to the nuero. Again I'm shivering and extremely nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back