Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Atlanta
Male, 49. No family history of neuro probs. General good health. Mildly prediabetic 1 yr ago but lost 40lb and now about the correct weight. Drink more alcohol than recommended. Fatigued, no pain.

Over the past year have noticed lost a lot of former strength. Eg. Tiring on arms to shower. Last month or so, can't lift front of one foot. Tripped a couple of times. Googled this, found foot drop description. Fascis visible in both calves, far more on problem side. Suspect entire problem limb may be a bit weaker than the other.

Glad of your thoughts. Appt with neuro pending. Thanks.

I understand your arms feel tired just lifting them up for a minute, is that right?
And one of your feet is unable to lift up anymore, yes?

Did a doctor do a fast and simple strength test to see if your arms and legs were moving in every direction OK?

I suppose this could be many possible problems, so you are right to see a doctor about this.

Thanks for your response. Just to be clear, have not seen a doctor. Have an appointment with a neurologist scheduled for next week. I actually can hold my arms above my head for a minute. Washing my hair in the shower, however, is tiring and takes effort. Oddly enough, I just made a trip to the hardware store and went down on one knee, genuflection style, to select merchandise from the bottom shelf. I bent my "problem" leg and discovered for the first time that I don't have enough strength or control to lower my knee all the way to the ground. With perhaps a few inches remaining between floor and knee, I went down with a bump. I sit at a desk for a job and am pretty sedentary so this crept up on me, I guess. But yes, correct: with one foot I can tap to the beat of music. With the other, I can't raise the ball of my foot off the floor (although my big toe strains skywards in sympathy!). Obviously, I'd prefer almost any other diagnosis than als, but I am curious, too, to discover whether it is a typical presentation of anything at all, als or not. All other limbs function fine though I can't gauge relative strength.

I'm glad you've got an appointment next week. If this is something curable, that would be great.

I'm not gonna lie to you, you need to get that foot examined and you should ask for a comprehensive EMG exam. It's a little painful (they stick needles in you to measure electrical activity), but you need it to rule in or rule out ALS.

I hope somebody smarter than me will come along and tell me that I'm stupid and there's no concern about ALS here.

I'm being more of a downer than I mean to. There are other things this could be.

I don't know if there is a cause for concern about ALS, but a foot drop is something serious and needs to be checked as Mike says.

There are many treatable causes of foot drop, so it does not immediately shout ALS, but it does shout - get this checked. This way if it is something treatable, you want to get onto it now.

Let us know how you go with the neuro, and try to stay positive in the meantime as you can only influence how you deal with it, rather than what 'it' turns out to be.

Thank you very kindly for all your advice. it is much appreciated.

I will post again and let you know how things turned out.

Understood, the foot drop is more significant than I thought it was. Definitely will check it out.

Thank you once again. I appreciate your time.

Kind regards, Scotty.

Quick update if anyone is interested. ran a few tests to rule out alcoholic neuropathy, slimmers paralysis, and nutritional / malnourishment challenges for my appointment with the neurologist. Everything came back okay mildly elevated cholesterol (because I drink beer, triglycerides always get me.) Blood glucose good and my A1c is one tiny notch above normal. Nowhere near diabetes though. So, not metabolic in nature. B12/Folic looks good.

Nerologist next week. I will take there results to him/ her.

Any recommendations for the appointment for me? Thanks.

I think it's best to walk in with a clear set of symptoms and timeline - feel free to write it down.

Don't say - I think I have ALS. Instead answer questions when asked, allow the doctor to examine you, then ask what the doctor is thinking.

Ditto what Tillie said.

Take notes and be sure you understand the importance of the big words before you leave the appointment.

Oh what Mike said reminded me - if you can have someone with you to take notes and discuss after it can be so helpful. It's really stressful talking medical stuff and you often forget bits, so someone else taking notes and hearing it all can be a real help.

Folks, a quick update for you. Met with the neurologist today and he was interested in the foot drop and limb weakness without any paresthesia period has ordered an EMG for tomorrow. However, it will be about 6 weeks before I get to see him again. So, a little waiting will follow this. However, thank you for your help everyone and it is good to know that he wants to do the test that you guys thought was appropriate. That certainly makes me feel better. Best regards to all.

Glad you saw the neurologist and will have the EMG so quickly. Wishing you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back