Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Nashville
Hey everybody,

I'm new to all of this, as I never expected I'd be within five miles of a neurological issue at my age. I just turned 20 five days ago (3/28/96), and I am literally TERRIFIED that I have ALS.

My symptoms have been going on for the past seven or eight weeks (since right after Valentine's Day) - it started with a knee flimsiness of some sort in my left leg. Of course, I'm a hypochondriac, so I naturally assumed I had MS (lol, what?). But as time progressed, I began getting fasciculations all over, and I've noticed that it's like I have a leg length discrepancy now, with my right foot being both larger, flatter, and attached to what appears to be a longer leg. I began having an "electric rod" sort of muscle excitability feeling in my legs (some weird combo of feeling muscle fatigue and overexcitement) and (even though I know this part isn't a symptom of ALS) I began to have some pretty mad paraesthesia in my right foot. The last two toes bend out when I bend them too, which is a bit weird. Two Saturdays into it, I had my first full-blown panic attack ever.

I was so petrified by all of my "MS" symptoms that I ended up taking a week off of school and going to see a neuro (she's brilliant, and the head of the South Texas MS Institute), who did a relatively basic neuro exam and then ordered an MRI just to be "extra certain" it was all OCD, anxiety, psychological reasons, etc. She told me she was 99.9% certain that I didn'tt have MS, she prescribed me some Xanax and we went our separate ways. I was in the mountains when i got my MRI results back, and it was, by coincidence, the afternoon following my clean MRI that I got perceived weakness in my left hand. The leg twitching (especially now in my right instep, which is still a 24/7 fasciculation) and hand weakness were really getting to me at this point, but I soldiered on, etc. I immediately then switched to ALS being the culprit, and unfortunately, I think I'm right about that self-diagnosis.

After the skiing trip, (I skied fine, by the way, despite the hoodoo voodoo going on in my legs) I visited a new psychiatrist, who theorized that this was all due to an intense drug reaction I had with Welbutrin after going off it for a few weeks (the symptoms started 4 or 5 days afterwards), saying that it was a serotonin deficiency, and that he was 100% certain that I didn't have ALS. He prescribed me Lexipro and that was that.

Fast forward a bit, and these symptoms keep getting worse. Admittedly, the leg situation has changed/ calmed down, and even with the arm situation, I can still play guitar, piano, run, walk, use them relatively normally, etc. I began to get cramps in certain muscles, and the cramping has plagued me since. I have no sex drive anymore (I actually haven't had one for a while, but that might be anxiety, though, and this is GROSS, but my testicles seem smaller and less firm than usual), and I'm so fatigued it isn't even funny. There were also two bizarre instances of getting pins and needles in my hands for about an hour, and one where I got pins and needles in my right foot. What's scaring the living shit out of me is the bulbar side of stuff.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been having on-and-off speech issues, until this past week, it became relatively steady. Other people don't seem to notice it, but I do. Of course, being the OCD guy that I am, two days ago I looked up specific bulbar symptoms and found tongue fasciculations. I went to the bathroom, and lo-and-behold, my tongue has wavy, quivery little fasciculations (as well as bigger, more jerky twitches) that I can't feel, but can see (24/7). Likewise, I have a positive jaw jerk, and fasciculations on the weak jaw muscle on my right side when I bite down. My voice is hoarse, and even though I might have had a slight chest cold or something, my gag reflex is more intense than usual too, and I have globus.

I know I've probably looked up wayyyyyy too much ALS stuff, and I know I'm OCD, but this really, really, really seems like ALS. My current state is functional, somewhat twitchy in my body, very twitchy tongue, feels weird when I speak, and excessively tired. My fasciculation hot spots are my left shoulder, right instep and apparently tongue. I've had paralyzing fear of ALS since my MRIs came back clear, and I know my anxiety and stress can do crazy stuff, but I can't see how it would cause all of this. I've been in touch with both my neurologist and psychiatrist, and my psychiatrist has been adamant that it's not ALS, saying that "I'm just flat-out too young for it". Upon seeing a video of my tongue fasciculation at rest this morning, he said I should go see an ENT when I get home, but that he still is "100%" certain I don't have ALS. My neurologist has said in the past "No, Peter, I don't think you have ALS, and I wouldn't recommend an EMG", but since I emailed her about this most recent batch of stuff has said that she wants to see me again to evaluate. I am 100% convinced that I have ALS and it makes me want to throw up. I have the hyperreflexia of the gag and jaw, twitching, atrophy of right mandibular jaw muscle, etc. I've read that BFS wouldn't cause anything like what I've experienced, and that if anxiety were to have caused my jaw jerk, I would be hyper reflexive everywhere. I have negative Babinski (less reflexive in my right foot, but still normal), kind of negative Hoffman (a bit excited in my left hand), and my jaw jerk is more slight than the stuff I see on Youtube, but it's still definitely noticeable and there. Likewise, my left hand shakes when I pick something up.

I know I'm incredibly young for this disease, but I was hoping you guys could give some input as to my condition. Also, I have no family history of neurological issues. I don't want to wither away and die in my twenties or thirties - I'm so, so scared. :(

Peter,

You evidently have convinced yourself that you have ALS. I'm convinced you don't. Your assumptions about what anxiety can and cannot cause, and that anxiety-related hyperreflexia is always straight-ticket, are unfounded. So my input is to tell your psychiatrist that your anxiety is ruining your life (print out this page and bring it to your appt), and ask that your rx and care plan be re-evaluated, and/or that you be referred to another program for a 2nd opinion. You're too young to "wither away and die" in suffering as you are.

Best,
Laurie

Agree with Laurie completely. Also these reflex issues you report were they found by your neurologist? If so she evaluated the picture and found it non concerning ( which is how they sound) or were they performed by a non neurologist or worse by you? In which case they are simply invalid. I would read very little into your neurologist's request to evaluate you. She quite likely realizes you will keep contacting her until she reexamines you

I know bulbar onset ALS really well, both through my husband and my work running support groups for PALS and CALS.

You don't have a single ALS symptom, despite the fact you are convinced that you do.

I agree with printing out both your post here and these replies and getting to your psychiatrist fast so that you can receive help. Being on this site is going to see your symptoms worsen, but we can't help you further as we can only support ALS. All the best.

They were done by me, but she also didn't check my jew jerk because I wasn't having bulbar symptoms a month ago.

You can not check your own reflexes. No one can, not even a neurologist. One of the research neurologists I have seen would not even let me WATCH as he performed the exam ( had to look away or close eyes except of course the part where he examined my eyes) as he felt that would affect the responses.

So you guys can say pretty definitively that despite everything, this doesn't sound even remotely like ALS? :)

Yes, because what is "everything" in your book in no way resembles the journey of those here.

Yes, we can say without hesitation that 'despite everything', what is happening with you does not sound every remotely like ALS, not even a tiny bit remotely.

I want some!

Peter, you definitely don't have ALS. In fact, except for the OCD and the health anxiety, I'd say your odds of developing ALS are really, really zippo, nada, zilch.

Greg, you're next.

I just got out of the Vanderbilt ER - they referred me to a psychiatrist with neurological experience who did some tests on me and said she seriously doubts that I have it. It's good news to hear, but of course, I'm not convinced. I don't understand how perceived weakness and bulbar symptoms and stuff could NOT be ALS, but yet, here I am, with a neurologist and two psychiatrists saying that I probably don't have it (not to mention literally everyone else who's said I don't, including you guys).

"I don't understand how perceived weakness and bulbar symptoms and stuff could NOT be ALS,"

1) Perceived weakness: I think you'll get a better understanding by reading the sticky post we've stuck to the top of this subforum. It's titled: READ BEFORE POSTING.

2) You did not describe ANY symptoms of ALS in your post. You described seeing things that YOU thought were ALS symptoms. To coin a phrase "WE'LL be the judge of that."

"but yet, here I am, with a neurologist and two psychiatrists saying that I probably don't have it (not to mention literally everyone else who's said I don't, including you guys)."

3) The part I'm scared of is your admitted OCD. If you can't let go of this ALS fantasy, you're really going to waste many days of your life. Somebody is going to have to pay thousands for your ER visits. So I'm glad you're connected with a shrink, and I wish you much good fortune.

Thank you so much! The input you guys have really does make a difference to people like me, I just want to let you all know that. :)
I still think I have ALS, despite my age, my lack of ALS genes, and a neurologist, a GP, three psychiatrists, a psychologist, and countless others telling me I just don't have it, despite my symptoms, but of course, I wouldn't truly be mentally ill (as I apparently am, according to others) if I did believe them. It's hard for me to swallow without feeling like I'm going to choke, my left hand continuously cramps and shakes when I hold anything, and it's hard to talk without feeling like I'm going to slur, but I really don't want to be THAT guy who keeps relentlessly posting despite receiving firm answers (I was kicked off MedHelp for asking too much for reassurance, etc.), so I'm going to try to leave things here for now, but thank you guys for the reassurance. I mean that. :)

Hey so I've been having issues with my left hand (my dominant hand), and I realized that it's much smaller than my right. I play piano, guitar, etc., so I guess that could be why my right is more muscular, but it looks like I have atrophy on my thenar muscle on my left hand. It feels harder to pick up a pencil, etc., though I still CAN do that, but my left hand also cramps a lot. I think it might be an ulnar nerve issue, as I can make my pinky tingle by tapping right behind my elbow/dropping my shoulder, but I don't really know. The doctor at the hospital seemed to think it looked fine.

But the pinky all the way to the thumb are smaller - I can stretch my right hand significantly further out than my left. The left hand is also the one that gets tremors when I hold stuff, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back