Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Hello, I’m new here and have read the stickies and quite a few other posts…unfortunately. My “symptoms” started about 2 months ago when I made the mistake of taking to the internet for my muscle twitching. It was body wide (and still is) then I began to notice some tightness in my left shoulder, forearm, and hand area. It started as tightness but then they began to cramp and feel very weak. I feel like I’m over-compensating some muscles in my arm. I type a lot at work and notice that my hand feels a little clumsy and sore. My shoulder, elbow area, and hand muscles ache and just feel heavy and weak. I am still able to type, hold my 1-year-old, and do household chores but I can definitely feel the difference in my left limb. It just feels off, I can’t explain it. I understand that the body wide twitching can be a result of anxiety/stress which is definitely a possibility for me since my ALS fears started but the left arm cramping, pain, aching, and weakness is worrisome for me. I’ve read that one day you will just not be able to unlock a door or do a button on your shirt but there are also forums that state they slowly became weaker in hand/arm before they went to the MD. Is it possible for my arm pain/cramping/weakness to be initial symptoms? I keep telling myself I’m crazy to even consider ALS but my mind keeps coming back to it. I think about it constantly. It’s effecting my work, my relationship, my patience with my children, it’s just terrible. Thank you for your time!

Nicole, I'm not seeing ALS in your post. Cramping pain, aching point away from ALS. Of course, I can't examine you over the Internet. So you definitely should see your GP medical doctor to sort this out.

Remember that, in ALS, weakness means a muscle that isn't getting a signal (from the brain) to contract, so the muscle doesn't go. There's no feeling of weakness involved.

Thank you Mike. I know I should take the fact that I can still workout and text with my left hand as a good sign but for some dang reason I can't shake my fears of this. My arm just feels like it's dead all the time. No numb or tingly feelings just deadweight. But like you said, it aches and it almost feel like I'm pulling a muscle in my hand when I use it too much for too long. It's so frustrating! I am going to call my GP tomorrow. Does ALS definitely only show itself at first with failing to do something completely? Not just difficulty doing it? Thank you, again.

I do have a question regarding a test my neurologist ordered. He did his neurological exam and said everything looked fine but he ordered a nerve conduction test on my left arm, which I will have done next week. Does ALS ever show anything on these tests? Or is it generally for carpal tunnel and other nerve/muscle issues? Thank you!

An NCS is for other stuff. It does not show the presence of ALS. So your doc must be looking for something else.

"Does ALS definitely only show itself at first with failing to do something completely? Not just difficulty doing it? "

Mostly right, I think. My wife had no symptoms, no twitching, no feelings, no "difficulties" leading up to ALS. One day in the bookstore, she squatted down to look at books in the bottom shelf, and she fell over. She realized that the muscles of her right foot had failed to stabilize her. That was her very first symptom, and quickly she was diagnosed with ALS.

Some people with ALS say that their hand couldn't button a shirt or hold a coffee cup properly, because one of the muscles in the hand wasn't working and the other muscles tried to compensate, so those muscles felt fatigued. There are dozens of muscle in the hands.

Hi Nicole,
The NCS generally is negative in ALS, but can be positive revealing that the person has another condition that affects the motor and/or sensory nerves, or sensory neuron damage as can sometimes be seen in ALS. I agree w/ Mike that what you describe is very unlikely to be ALS. A repetitive use injury like carpal tunnel syndrome is much more likely; the NCS will tell you more.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you both. He told me he's not sure what he's looking for. He just wants to start with this and move forward if necessary. I still am able to do everything...workout, fold laundry, hold the house, etc. My left arm is just cramping, achey, fatigued, and the fingers feel stiff. I'm hopeful that it's something minor since I have no objective weakness but of course still worried. The twitching has much increased too. Thanks again.

I guess a question would be...in your experience of all of the cases you've seen, is it possible for someone to 'feel' the weakness gradually come on?

No hon, please read the READ THIS BEFORE POSTING sticky at the top of this forum.

You need to work with your doctor now who is actually examining and testing you. We can't see any ALS which is great news, so now let your doctor do their job. Worrying isn't going to help. I know it's hard not to worry, but you should go do really nice things with your baby, they grow up way too fast and you don't want to waste your child's baby years here.

All the best.

Ditto what Tillie said. All of it. Double ditto.

Thank you guys so much for your responses. You really have helped me. This is a side question and I'm just curious....I have read more than most should on ALS/MS and a couple other diseases. In ALS specifically has it been seen for there to be tremors or twitching in fingers/hands/limbs? Like visible tremors in hands or other places?

Twitching and tremors come in many varieties. They also are common to many different conditions, so they're not diagnostic of anything in particular. My wife had ALS, but did not twitch or tremor.

Perfectly healthy people, like myself, twitch quite often. Some of mine are visible, easily felt, or powerful. In sum, I don't think anyone should worry about twitching. It happens. Our bodies do funny things.

Shoulder issues/Shortness of Breath

Hello, I have a few questions for you guys. I realize I’ve been here before with symptoms and I did take it to heart and chalk it up to anxiety and possibly a pinched nerve or something but the symptoms are still here and in my opinion worse. I still have all function of my left hand but it does become stiff at times. My biggest thing right now is my left shoulder hurts, it will grind when with range of motion, it burns in the back of my shoulder blade, it shakes with exertion (like it’s weak) and I also have A TON of muscle twitching in that arm/hand/shoulder/rib area. And for the past 2ish weeks I have been short of breath. It seems to be better when I’m in bed (a little) but I also feel a slight twitch/vibration feeling in chest at times. My shortness of breath may be what’s causing my hands and nose to become tingly because I’m breathing too heavy and often. I’m not sure. Anyway, my left arm/shoulder does twitch A LOT, I can still lift over my head to dry my hair but shakes quite a bit. I also notice what I would assume is ‘spasticity’ in same arm only with heavy use/exercise though. Can this shortness of breath and shoulder/arm pain/twitching/shaking be connected? I had a normal nerve conduction two weeks ago. I know pain ‘isn’t a first sign of ALS’ but I’ve read contradicting posts, unfortunately.
And I'm sorry for multiple posts from a month or so ago...I searched for my old post but couldn't find it.
Thank you for your time!

Sorry to hear you've read contradicting posts.
You have something going on. But not ALS.
Please follow up with your GP medical doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back