Reason
Other
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Audubon
So a week ago tonight I went to the gym to workout as I am trying to stay more fit and healthy. I did an exercise on the treadmill. I walk for 1 minute and then jog for 2 minutes. I basically did that 10 times in a row. After that I walked on an incline of 8.0 with a speed of 3.5. I felt fine and broke out in a nice sweat. I didnt do any stretches before or after I did this workout. I woke up that morning around 6am to my bladder since i drank so much water, and my left quadricep was twitching. It was thumping constantly. I got into work around 9:30 and it stopped. It came back around 3pm and then stopped again and that night and the next day it didnt do it anymore until about 10pm that night for a short while while i was brushing my teeth. It has been sort of on and off since then. I asked my mother and she thinks the gym caused this. I went to the gym again Thursday and Sunday. Yesterday I decided to lay down a few hours after the gym and the twitching came back. It did feel better after about 30 minutes.

I typically get twitches all over. I sometimes get them in my calf, I do remember getting them in my arm after lifting a bit. My top eye lid twitches as well. I googled muscle twitches and I do see the ALS name pop up a lot. My parents dont think its that and tell me I am fine. Should I be worried?

Thank you for any and all help.

Nope. You should not be worried at all.
Look at any online weight lifting or fitness forum and there are any number of mentions about muscle twitches and the ways you can mitigate them. Just like a headache is not brain cancer, twitches are not ALS.

"Just like a headache is not brain cancer, twitches are not ALS"

I like that! Thanks.

Thanks Shiftkicker! I was worried because I read that even smaller symptoms can lead to ALS like twitching. The reason this worried me more was because it was a bit intense and annoying than a simple 4 second twitch. This lasted an 2 hours or so. Its been on and off since last Tuesday morning. I get them all over really and I do believe its mostly due to either working out or lack of sleep, or stress. I tend to worry a lot. When I google my symptoms i tend to fear the worst. If I believed everything Dr. Google said I would have 20 doctor visits a year. I will just wait this twitch out.

Yep. Dr Google is very happy to write you off as a terminal case, no matter what symptoms you enter.

A quick search lists vitamin deficiency, fatigue, dehydration, stress, muscle overuse/overtraining, stress, various otc medications, prescriptions, lack of proper stretching and other things before serious diseases like ALS. You're good. If you're super worried, see a physio or trainer about the best exercises and nutrition for you. They can give you the most efficient and personalized way to reach your fitness goals without overburdening your body.

good luck!

Some odd sleep issues

So recently, when I lay down to take a nap, I usually lay down on my back. So when I am about to drift off I can feel myself stop breathing and I gasp for air. This doesnt happen at night when I need to go to bed, maybe because I lay on my side? Not sure. I googled my issue and came up with Central Sleep Apnea. I did hear one of the causes of this is ALS. Is this an early symptom of the disease? My muscle twitching has gotten better and now it happens typically once or twice a day.

I really cant tell if this happens at night. However I do get up typically around 5am but I believe that is because my dad is up around that time as well.

I also am getting post nasal drip right now. I am swallowing more mucus and my nose is getting clogged up a little bit. My voice does feel different but again this is probably allergies irritating my throat.

Sorry as I hope I am not being annoying with these issues.

Re: Some odd sleep issues

TOC, I merged your threads. Please stay in this thread -- that's how it works. You can find an Epworth Sleep Inventory on line. Take the test, and if it advises you see your doc about possible sleep apnea, then do it. I'm gathering you might not be at a healthy weight, which is a risk factor for obstructive apnea (much more likely than central).

Either way, not indicative of ALS.

Best,
Laurie

I took the test and I got a 10 so I guess I am good. I am a big napper. In fact my whole family is. I however was reading that some people did have their breathing stop during sleep and they wake up gasping for air. I guess it has something to do with sleeping on my back? However this did happen today when i was in my chair resting my eyes. At night I tend to sleep on my side and fall asleep just fine. I was 1 pound over weight and lost that extra pound last week. My BMI is like 24.7

I was under the assumption that people with Bulbar ALS did have trouble sleeping at night as one of the first symptoms such as central Sleep Apnea. My speech has been fine although sometimes i do find myself clearing my throat but that could be due to allergies. In fact this whole thing could be do to allergies. Or anxiety as I thought my twitching and some pain was due to something more serious.

Thank you lgelb i wasnt sure to make a new thread or not.

I might have more luck with a therapist. I do ask my parents about these issues and they also say everything is fine.

How old are you, Crab?

No honey, people with bulbar onset begin to slur their speech and choke.
Bulbar onset affects the tongue.

You are fine - that is obstructive apnoea by the description. So many people have this it is incredible and it has nothing to do with ALS.

Affected,

I understand. When looking it up i saw that when the person stops breathing its called central apnea. I was on my sitting in a chair when this happened and laying on my back. I havent been choking. I eat lots of hard foods and fruits and pizza and chicken. I actually found another web forum where many people seem to have had this problem for years.

As for my twitching I get them but rarely, like once or twice a day and yeah. I think there is some anxiety due to me worrying too much about other health issues that arent really issues and dating issues.

And when I say I feel like I stopped breathing I meant that I do. I get out of my twilight and gasp for air. Like I said this only happens during naps and not actual sleepy time.

Last edited:
Sometimes that happens when you are too warm or full when you doze off. But if it happens consistently, by all means, see a PCP who might want to order a sleep study. As Tillie says, OSA is common and not only people with weight to lose have it.

Lgelb thank you. I guess I jumped to conclusions with this and assumed that with the twitching and this weird breathing issue that it could be ALS. I should avoid searching for issues. However I might post in that thread on another site where people have had similar issues. And for years. I have also been clearing my throat more recently but that's probably due to allergies and mucus.

I did eat some apples, yogurt and corn chips right after the first time. And then a few hours later.

So bulbar is out of the picture.

Last edited:
I'm glad you realize this is not ALS.

I, too, look quite young.
When I was 29 I looked like I was 19.
When I was 19 I looked like 12.
When I was 12, I looked like a fetus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back