Learn about ALS
Country
FR
State
paris
City
PARIS
Hello,

I am a 24 years old woman, and it has been a month since I have been experiencing symptoms. It all started after a friend told me about a common acquaintance who had been diagnosed with MS, I was sad about it but did not think about it too much. A few days later, I started searching about the sickness and found that I had some symptoms that scared me a lot.

Indeed, it started with a feeling of pinches and needles, on my feet and hands, pinches on my tongue, a slight pain above the left eye and then one week later turned into severe muscle spasms,which led me to the ER. I also had parasthesias, I couldn't feel my face or even my throat, strangest feeling ever. They told me I had anxiety but still, I couldn't get this out of my head.

Now, for a week, as I searched further, I noticed my symptoms are getting worse and match ALS for some things, which got me in extreme anxiety: I feel like my tongue is swollen and that I cannot pronounce clearly, I have hypersalivation and mucus all the time I always need to spit and clear my throat, my throat is extremely tight and I sometimes have spasms at the base of my jaw/throat. I also feel weak, and i can clearly see some fasciculations on my hands, and I feel extremely shaky. Also, the right side of my face feels weird, like heavy.

Since I'm so scared, I tried working out. I'm not a sporty woman at all, but I shake so much when I try to lift a weight or do a squat without shaking, and don't mention push ups I cannot even do one I crush on the floor. I feel especially weak and clumsy with my right side.

I also noticed my ulula is deviated to the left side. I checked for gag reflex but it's still there though. My doctor said it could be just physiological but I'm still scared to see all of this pile up and it does not stop...

What do you honestly think? I have a neuro appointment end of the week I don't know what to expect, I also have an MRI on monday.

Please give me your honest opinion, I need it so bad. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

There is no ALS in your words. None. You have anxiety and you are out of shape.

If you can't feel your face, that's some kind of problem, but it has nothing to do with ALS.

I think you are upset about your friend, and perhaps other things. The mind is more powerful than your body, often, especially in fear. Ever run from a mouse or wasp? Give yourself time to process, engage in some of your favorite pastimes, be with friends and family.

Best,
Laurie

Hello,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to answer me, as I know how exhausting it must be for you to see so many posts of concerned people just like me.

I do realize I have anxiety and that it plays a role in my overall wellbeing. I also thought it was important to mention it as well as my friend because I also thought it may be linked.

But now, 1,5 months later, I just don't understand my body.

For the last couple of days, even if my arms and legs are shaky and tingly sometimes, and have a weak feeling, symptoms have focused on my mouth. The cough does not go away, My voice is very scratchy and "wet", if this makes sense, and I have a difficulty pronouncing certain sounds, as my tongue moves weirdly in my mouth. I also feel like my tongue is weak, it is super soft and feels super light like wool, when I push it on my cheek I just have to push a bit with my finger to get it back in my mouth, it doesn't seem as strong as it used to be and it's very indented on the sides. My ulula is still deviated to the left, I salivate too much and have constant mucus sitting at the back of my tongue/throat.

I have no idea what to do right now, I am terrified. What do you think those symptoms suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back