Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
wa
City
chehalis
Let first start off by saying that I have always been sort of a nervous ned and I'm 32 yrs old. About two weeks ago i started getting an eye twitch. It eventually moved on to my arm, back, then legs, feet, etc. I should note that I have a dull ache in my left leg as well radiating from my buttocks to my foot.. I tend to get anxiety quite often as well. I quit drinking alcohol just 5 days ago and the twitches have gone down tremendously. Problem is, is that now it seems I get light twitching in mainly my left(achey) thigh, calf and foot now. I read that ALS takes on one limb at a time and this scared me even more. Its only been a couple weeks since this started. I have no fatigue. I feel a little weak in my left calf and ankle which is were the dull ache is and my calf is a little smaller than the right one although I'm right foot dominate. The twitches are pretty come-and-go and don't seem to bug me when I wake up in the morning.

Ive had changes at my job recently as well.. stressfull changes. I sit in a vehicle for 10-12 hrs a day. I am healthy, I eat well, and I exercise. Could it be the sciatic nerve causing the twitching and dull ache in my left leg?

any thoughts? I'm super stressed out about this.. ever since the dull ache in my left leg i'm been a wreck..

sorry guys.. I made a mistake of researching twitches and now I'm a basket case.

Welp. I did what I should have done before I posted this. I read the sticky at the top of this subforum and realized that none of what I was worried about really has anything to do with ALS.

would I be right in assuming so?

Right, Gallagher. There's no ALS in your post. See a medical doctor about your concerns and enjoy a long life.

Thanks.. it's just so concerning when you experience something out of the blue like this and the first thing google tells you is ALS or MS etc.. Then when you research ALS you only find haunting things about it and my mind goes into anxiety mode. I'll wait a bit longer before going to a Dr. My twitches have gotten better. They're more localized in my butt, thigh, calf, and foot region as well as back and face but if the dull ache don't go away in a week or two ill go see a physician about it. I'm assuming the ache is from long periods of sitting and quite possibly the twitching too..

Your assumption about the cause is a good one. A good integrated (back + seat) foam cushion with a metal foundation for your vehicle may help.

Best,
Laurie

Your assumption about the cause is a good one. A good integrated (back + seat) foam cushion with a metal foundation for your vehicle may help.

Best,
Laurie

I could probably talk my company into a better seat based on ergonomics seeing how it is literally my job to sit on my butt all day for extended periods of time. I do exercise 3-4 days a week but I'm afraid thats not enough.

I can see the the ache in the left leg being sciatic, but the random twitching is still bothersome..

One More quick question if I may ask. What about all the stories I've read from people diagnosed with ALS that said their first symptoms were twitching only to find out weeks/months later they had ALS? One story I read, a guy said he had fatigue, then twitching, then ALS. My understanding is that the muscle gets weak, then fails, then twitches come much later.

trying to understand a little more. I did read the sticky, but I just thought about this
thanks

A few examples. According to my quick Google search, twitching is one of the first signs of ...
MS
Parkinson's
Tetanus
BFS
Huntington's
Fibromyalgia
Magnesium Deficiency
And many more.

Even healthy people twitch. I twitch all the time and I'm the most healthy person on the PLANET!

Lots of people have fatigue and twitching for lots of reasons. Don't jump from a common symptom to a rare disease.

Atsugi I appreciate your answers. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back