Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
VA
City
Pentagon City
Dear members,
I would like to express my appreciation to all of you, contributing with your experience an knowledge on this valuable forum.
I have followed you since 2 months ago and found a very useful information.
I would like to ask you for an opinion about my symptoms.
4 months ago (November 2015) I. Since that time until now I also developed following symptoms:
- Twitchings (almost permanent) and stiffness (permanent) in both legs;
- Stiffness (permanent) and twitching in left arm and hand;
- Muscle cramps in both leg muscles and left arm (periodically);
- Burning legs sensations;
- Numbness in jaw and face;
- Sometimes twitchings go in different parts of my body, but it is rare, they are most and almost always present in the legs and left arm
- Sometimes painful cramps in the legs, but the pain was migrating (one day to one, next day to another leg);
- Sometimes pains in left foot and knee.

In January, I visited a neurologist and physical examination didn’t show any abnormalities. Due to my present, permanent and ongoing symptoms he also performed MRI (January 2016) and EMG (last week) which both were OK (clean).
Till this morning I hadn’t any weakness, my strength was normal.
This morning I woke up and realized the sudden weakness in my left foot. I am not able at all to stand on my heel, regardless how hard I try, it is completely paralyzed when I try to stand on a heel. When walking I have a weird feeling (like the foot is not mine) and dragging. I’m sure it is a foot drop syndrome.
Could you share with me, please, your thoughts what it could be? I’m still thinking about possible ALS. I also read that EMG sometimes doesn't show the presence of ALS in its early stage.
I’ll certainly visit my neurologist again, but, in the meantime, your comments will be very helpful to me.
Thank you all. I wish you and your families all the best.

P.S. Sorry for my English

If you where that close to developing foot drop it would show on an EMG. Paralysis shows up once you develop 70% neuron loss so the neuro would have seen this in his test. The preponderance of sensory symptoms also says no to ALS. There is something going on but it doesn't look like ALS.
Vincent

Your English is fine, Rodrigez. Thanks for writing.

I don't think that's ALS, but I could be wrong.
The EMG is an excellent test, but it could be wrong.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean about your left foot, but that is very important. It might be something simple, or it might be something bad.
Sorry, I can't tell over the Internet.

All the twitching and cramping could be anything. The important thing in ALS is a muscle that won't contract.

ALS is a disease in the brain that destroys motor nerves in the brain, one by one, in a kind of a straight line. It might start in the foot. First, the nerve is destroyed, so it cannot tell its muscle to contract. So the muscle lays limp, useless, paralyzed. It will never get better. The the disease moves to the next nerve, etc.

I am not a doctor, but I think you have some kind of problem that a doctor needs to see. You must see your doctor about this foot problem.

I agree with Greg. There is a lot of pain and weird feelings going on, that point to something else, not ALS.

Hi sorry for all you are going through
Yes of course a follow up with your neuro is indicated.
Certainly the recent normal emg is encouraging but new onset weakness requires investigation. There certainly are other less ominous causes of foot drop as you know so we will hope for that.
When you say paralyzed I think you mean that when you attempt heel walk it does not raise up as the other side does? But you can move it if you are not weightbearing? Sit in a chair and with you foot off the ground point and flex? If so it is not truly paralyzed but rather it is weak. The weird feeling is not familar to me. I can not walk on heel or toe on my weak leg but it feels utterly normal. I will hope this means you have another cause. I am sure you will be calling tomorrow. I hope you get seen soon

Dear Nikki, Mike and Vincent,

Thank you so much for your prompt answers and opinions. I really appreciate it.

I can not stand on my heel at all, muscles are not reacting, they are like paralyzed. That's why I used this expression. And Nikki, you are right, when seated or in the recumbent position I can move my foot up-down but it is with some limitations (when compared with the other unaffected foot).
I'll call my neuro tomorrow in order to see what's going on.

You have my sincere support and gratefulness ...

All the best to all of you and your families...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back