Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
NY
City
Rochester
Hello - this is my first post to this site.

I have been experiencing unexplainable symptoms since May 2015. I am a 40 year old female who used to be in fairly good health. That all changed in May. I started having body wide muscle twitching which has only gotten worse. This is only one of MANY symptoms, however.

Some of my other symptoms include: terrible exhaustion, body wide muscle weakness and shaking, and the most worrisome symptom is that my voice has gotten extremely weak. I can no longer sing or even laugh.

I have seen a laryngologist about my voice but there are no definititive answers yet. I am scheduled for an EMG on March 9.

My specific question is this:
For those of you who have the devastating diagnosis of ALS, did any of you have body wide muscle twitching before you were diagnosed? They occur all over my body, all throughout the day, but don't last very long. They are everywhere - stomach, shoulders, legs, arms, buttocks. This has been happening since May.
I HAVE tried magnesium and other supplements with no results.

I greatly appreciate and thank you in advance for any insight. I have a young family and am really struggling right now.

Victoria

Hi, Vicki,
Twitching is pretty non-specific in and of itself so the fact that it's occurring with voice problems is more relevant. Still, we cannot diagnose from afar so hope to hear that your EMG is clear or points to a non-ALS disorder; based on what you have said, either outcome is very possible.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. When you said either outcome is very possible, did you mean ALS or not ALS? Or did you mean a clean EMG and and non-ALS disorder? I am so sorry that I misunderstood...
Victoria

The latter -- either a clean EMG or a pointer to something more treatable than ALS. The main reason for saying that is that you don't report any clinical muscle weakness (i.e. complete inability to do certain things) in the muscles that have twitched for several months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back