Learn about ALS
Country
PT
State
Portugal
City
Vila Real
Hi.
Sorry to bother again but since my original thread was closed I need to create a new one.

So just a little backup story:
- rhabdomyolysis at 6 months ago.(no source discovered)
- fasciculations on both calves for 5 months (24/7 non stop)
- occasional widespread fasciculations
- no clinical weakness
- 24 years old.

Today I did my first EMG, it wast performed for my neurologist, so I need to wait for the appoitment to talk to him. (No date yet, will receive a letter at home, probably in a month or so).

It was an auxiliary technician who ran the EMG and NCV.
NCV normal.
EMG not.

She spotted fasciculations on both calves, (expecting that since its visible) and above my right knee, (I dont know how that muscle is named) when she sticked the needle and asked me to do strenght she said there is atrophy there.
She said there are other inconsistencies found but she needs to review the exam and writte a report to my neuro. Thats all I got.

Being the EMG the gold standard test to exclude ALS , now more than never I'm very scared. The place of not knowing is the worst. Would appreciate some inputs and yes, I know I need to wait to see what my doctor says. But I dont know when that will happen :(

Thanks again for all of your time.

I'm afraid we can't add anything until you have the results - there will be a summary that will tell you what all the numbers meant.

An 'abnormal' EMG does not mean ALS. It is a diagnostic tool that is will pick up many, many disease processes. So try to remain calm while you wait for the results, and I know that is not easy.

Don't jump to the conclusion that the EMG showing 'something' means ALS. At 24 it would be so incredibly rare - there are many causes of atrophy.

Let us know once you have the results.

Alexandre, Tillie is right, as always. You shouldn't worry about ALS, especially at your age. The symptoms you describe do not add up to ALS at all. You should see your doctor for the EMG results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back