Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
PH
State
PH
City
Quezon city
Hi everyone. I'm a 23 year old female. My paranoia starts from January of this year. On the first week I had a cold due to allergies. On the second week, I got better and started to have really really REALLY BAD STRESS. I lost appetite most of the time, I cried every single night due to some problems. On the third week of January I notice (I swear I'm going somewhere) that my appetite wasn't back despite the resolution of my stressors. I also noticed that I was starting to lose weight. To add on to that, I just realized that my tummy would randomly start hurting. I would check on my feces and they'd be on the watery side. The week after, I realized that I had lost around 3-4 lbs. I went for a check up and got my thyroid checked. All results came back normal. On January 26, I suddenly feel that my muscles were twitching. Didn't take much notice of it. On January 30 I suddenly notice that my thighs were on the wobbly side. They weren't as firm as before. Around the first week of Feb, my appetite comes back and I'm eating like before again.My muscles continue to twitch tho. Sometimes I'd feel very weak or sometimes i'd feel pain on my right arm. Just last night, My right leg hurt very much. I took a pain reliever to make it stop. It did go away. I've been having a headache for the past 2 days as well every late afternoon. I'd like to stress that the twitching continues to happen all over my body. recently, it started on my face. my eyelids and my lips, which has never happened to me before. The twitching doesn't hurt at all. This has been making me so anxious, I'd randomly cry at night. Basically to sum it all up, I still do have the digestive issues that have yet to be resolved plus the muscle twitching that continues to happen and sudden muscle weakness. Pain in my right leg started last night but as of today, it hasn't hurt. It's been almost a month now. I'd just like to know if you think this is ALS?

Noey, nothing in your description has anything to do with ALS. I can't imagine why you came here. You describe a classic case of stress. We have no expertise in treating stress, here. We only do ALS.

Thanks so much, Mike. I'd also like to add however that sometimes my extremities feel shaky. There was one time I decided to exercise and my inner thighs vibrated uncontrollably. I'm definitely bothered that suddenly my muscles aren't that firm anymore and by the muscle twitching more so the sudden pain i've been feeling on my right leg.

I also forgot to mention that the twitching progressed. It started in my legs. The next thing i know my arms are twitching as well, suddenly my abdomen has been getting twitches too. Recently my face (eyelids, upper lip) have been twitching as well. And just noe, noticed that my hands are twitching too...

To me, it sounds like stress and anxiety caaused uour digestive issues. Because of them you are dehydrated and you could use a gatorade or something with electrolytes to stabilize you. Then is it doesnt stop, I would see your doctor because uou probably need to relieve your stress so you can sleep well.

Fatigue,stress, electrolytes out of whack can all contribute to twitching.

Nothing you describe sounds like ALS. It all sounds like anxiety. You might want to see your doctor to see if you are deficient in Vitamins or minerals and get some help for your anxiety. Best wishes.

Thanks to everyone who commented! I'm gonna get tested for vitamin deficiency such as vitamin K, Ma, Ca next week. Hopefully these levels are affecting the twitching. Do you guys know any other vitamin deficiency I could be tested for? I'm really bothered about the twitching that progressed and the sudden muscle weakness. I know these are the first signs of ALS. Has anyone also encountered their muscles just suddenly turning into fat as a sign?

"Do you guys know any other vitamin deficiency I could be tested for?"
Leave that decision to the doctor.

"twitching that progressed and the sudden muscle weakness. I know these are the first signs of ALS."
NO. THEY'RE NOT. They can be signs of many things.

"Has anyone also encountered their muscles just suddenly turning into fat?"
Muscles don't turn to fat. You might be seeing A) an increase in fat. OR B) a decrease in muscle tone. But muscles never turn into fat. Muscle cells are muscles. Fat cells contain fat. Muscles do not turn into fat.

"Do you guys know any other vitamin deficiency I could be tested for?"
Leave that decision to the doctor.

"twitching that progressed and the sudden muscle weakness. I know these are the first signs of ALS."
NO. THEY'RE NOT. They can be signs of many things.

"Has anyone also encountered their muscles just suddenly turning into fat?"
Muscles don't turn to fat. You might be seeing A) an increase in fat. OR B) a decrease in muscle tone. But muscles never turn into fat. Muscle cells are muscles. Fat cells contain fat. Muscles do not turn into fat.

Thank you so much, Mike. This is truly helpful. I was just wondering, is the decrease in muscle tone a sign of ALS?

ALS does not present with body-wide twitching as you describe, or anything else you have posted. Your doc can recommend labs, but the best test for some of the minerals that show up in tiny percentages in the blood is empirical. Drink a juice smoothie. If you have had a GI virus as seems likely, hydration and minerals are good.

Stretches and bodywork that lengthens the muscles may also help your twitches, e.g. yoga, Pilates, ballet. You might also want to try a massage/hot tub. One thing is sure: you're in the wrong place here. Find an internist you trust and work on your issues holistically. The answers are with you and her, not us.

Best,
Laurie

Appreciate this response so much. Thank you and God bless!

Hey everyone, just wanted to up this. Just today, there's something I'm feeling in my throat. It isn't itchy. It's quite a burning sensation. I can talk normally, swallow normally, everything. There's just that burning feeling. Is this a sign of bulbar onset? Again, the twitching hasn't subsided despite me drinking coconut juice and eating bananas. I noticed the loss of muscle tone all over my body and my right arm and leg muscles would hurt from time to time. Overall I'd just feel weak. Should I consult a neuro? Or just go along first with my vitamin deficiency tests?

Still no signs of ALS anywhere, Noey.
If you're still concerned, see your GP medical doctor.

Thanks, Mike. Really appreciate it. Do those affected by ALS loose the muscle tone after being diagnosed? After they're unable to move their muscles?

I'd also like to know more about bulbar symptoms. My throat still has that heavy feeling. Like there's something stuck there that's flaring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back