Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Chehalis
Hello. I'm a 26 year-old female. I went to ENT for possible ear issues because of light-headedness and HOH. He ordered MRI with contrast. All looked perfect. He did however mention the possibility of MS which of course freaked me out and I began to panic. I then started noticing muscle twitches all over my body all the time. They don't seem to start or stop whether I'm active or at rest. I pushed it out of my mind until I started having what feel like muscle cramps in my left bicep, forearm, and fingers. This caused me to go off the deep end. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks, was fatigued, I was shaky, had no appetite. Went to the ER twice with fear. All blood tests look good. My GP continues to reassure me that it's not ALS but I made the mistake of taking to Google. Stupid I know. I went to chiropractor and all was fine. I got a massage, nothing. My arm and finger cramps are almost like little Charlie horses but are not constant. I get them daily and it's almost as though I feel it more when I'm using my arm. I do notice my left arm is weaker when washing my hair or holding my 1 year old. But I work with physical therapists and they strength test my hands and say there is no weakness. I can hear myself being crazy and irrational but I can't control my mind!!!! My doctor had to put me on Zoloft. I have a neurology consult in a month.

Doesn't sound anything like ALS to me. If you had a brain MRI that should have ruled out MS....did your doctor tell you it did? I'm glad you're on Zoloft but know that it takes a couple of months for full therapeutic effect. Meanwhile, trust the PT's evaluation of your strength and take good care of your baby.

Try not to let fear control you. Your mind can do all kinds of things and anxiety will increase or even cause twitches.

Thank you for the response. He did tell me that MS was not an issue due to my clean MRI. I'm trying really hard to not like my anxiety get the best of me. The cramps in my arm get somewhat severe at times but they vary. I've been worried sick. I appreciate your time!

I'm glad MS was ruled out! I agree with your GP. Not ALS. Try not to worry. Focus on your family and do things to reduce stress and anxiety. You don't have ALS.

Lightheadness and hearing difficulty can be very hard on the mind and even create muscle glitches elsewhere in the body. I hope your doc has ruled out treatable conditions relative to those, which will enable you to work full-tilt on vestibular rehabilitation (make sure you have a specialized PT for that) and that in turn will likely address your "cramps."

Best,
Laurie

Your words have helped me calm down a little, so thank you. But the pain in my arm and hand just keep adding to my anxiety. It cramps severely down my arm into my fingers. Also I have pain on the inside of my left knee as well. Only when walking though. My twitching is quite severe too, and everywhere. I'm sorry I keep poking around at this but I keep finding myself looking through these chats and see people with cramping. I need to stop!!!

I had just posted a few minutes ago and it had disappeared. I hope I didn't offend anyone and it was deleted, that was no my intent at all. I'm so sorry if this seems desperate and pathetic. But I am truly scared and anxious. I have been in a very low place for the last month and I'm awaiting a neurology appointment that is a month out. I truly fear that I may have this terrible disease. The cramping in my left arm is severe and it radiates into my fingers and forearm. It does seem to get worse with use. My biceps are also sore to the touch (both of them.) I feel like it's always sore and more tired than the right arm. I twitch like crazy, everywhere. I don't know...I've read so many contradicting posts about cramping and pain that it's making me crazy! I have young babies and I am just scared. Any comments would be so much appreciated. And again, I'm sorry if my previous post had offended someone.

Trying to get some clarity here so I don't misunderstand:

First, you were light-headed and your ENT mentions MS. Immediately you noticed twitches all over, all the time.
You lost weight, felt fatigued, shaky, and had “what feel like muscle cramps” in your left arm.
You went to the ER for fear. Your GP told you it was not ALS.
You have pain all down your left arm and knee, and severe twitching all over.

Your posts are all filled with admissions that you have severe anxiety.
You’ve asked for advice from a chiropractor and a massage therapist, is that right?

Yet when the people here, the only people you’ve asked who actually have experience with ALS, tell you: “Doesn't sound anything like ALS to me,” and “You don't have ALS,” you don’t believe us. Nor do you believe your doctor.

Did I get that about right?

Unfortunately yes. :( I made the mistake of looking through some people's posts about cramping and it lit another fire. Trust me, when I read over it again I see myself sounding absolutely nuts. I'm a social worker in a nursing facility and I'm around many people with MS, paralysis, and other awful diseases. I have never seen ALS personally. I realize I am experiencing anxiety and I keep telling myself to stop being ridiculous. But every time my arm and fingers cramp up, or my muscles start twitching like crazy I start freaking. I'm sorry for digging for something that most likely isn't there...I am not trying to be disrespectful. I'm just scared and anxious waiting for neurology.

Well, you're absolutely right to say, "I'm just scared and anxious."
We can say with confidence that you need treatment for anxiety. If you prefer to get support from the Internet, please get it from a site that specializes in anxiety. We do not.

You know for a fact, don't you, that you don't have ALS, but you do have severe anxiety. We all know that.
So it's time for you to find an anxiety site where people understand that problem, don't you think?

Ashley, I think you need a vacation from the nursing facility.

Left arm weakness/cramping?

I have been here before and I was doing really well for awhile, kept myself busy and distracted. I've been back in the gym the last month trying to get in shape for my wedding so of course I'm noticing weakness in my left arm (primarily the hand and even more so my thumb.) Everyone that strength tests says they don't notice anything. I still have my neuro appointment in 3 weeks. I will get somewhat severe cramping generally in my hand but sometimes in my forearm and even shoulder. I still have the body wide twitching, pretty consistently all day. When I'm really busy at work I don't notice them as much. When I'm working out I can still do everything normally (I think) but afterwards my left arm is really sore and weak. Sometimes my hand feels kind of clumsy. I do type at work and my left hand is the hand I use on my phone. I'm not as shaky anymore now that my appetite is back but I do notice a little but of shakiness. I don't feel as anxious anymore because I've pretty much talked myself out of a super rare neurological disease and yet here I am. I apologize for being a nag and coming back I just don't understand this feeling in my arm/hand.

"Everyone that strength tests says they don't notice anything."

Ashley, who is doing these strength tests? Is it a medical doctor?

No. My chiropractor, an RN, and one of the physical therapists at my work.

When are you getting married? Will you work at the nursing facility afterward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back