Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
bridgeport
Hey Guys,

I've been twitching for a while now (4 years or so) had an emg done 4 years ago which was normal. Over the last year I've been cramping real easy - writing, carrying baby, carrying bags etc with no loss of strength. Over the last 2 months I developed a constant focal twitch in my right bicep along with some stiffness in right leg. What really has me concerned though is this new weakness that has hit me in my left hand. Over the last week I've had this serious pain in my shoulder/bicep, elbow area. I do light exercise and was unable to squeeze hand grip with left hand (I am lefty and just a couple of weeks ago I was able to squeeze 20 + times).

Does ALS weakness just suddenly hit you like this? Basically I went from normal to nothing in a couple of weeks. I'm in the middle of a job change and don't have insurance until mid-Feb. I don't even have my wife and daughter around for support so I am going crazy. Any help or advice on what this could be would be appreciated. Thank you all so much

Well yes it can and often does happen suddenly but so do other things so please do not panic. The pain makes me wonder about a pinched nerve rather than something more sinister

Thanks Nikki - I am only 31 with a 9 month old, I am so scared. I am sitting at work crying with my door closed.

Didn't you see a doctor after you posted your last thread?

Still not seeing ALS in you.

As Nikki asked, pinched nerve?

As I noted in your last thread, this requires medical attention. Not for ALS; for the crying at work. It's happened to me, too, so I understand it happens. See the doc, please.

Thanks Mike. I did see my GP before moving for new job 2 weeks ago. He said everything looked OK. I asked for him to check me for MND and it was very basic, stand up from floor, push against resistance (no reflex checks) and he said no ALS. This was before my sudden hand weakness and pain in arm though. I've also been taking lexapro - may need a stronger dose? One thing that jumped out on blood work was real low serotonin.

I had not noted your previous posts before. You also had a neurologist friend who examined you within the year, yes?
Do some first aid for the painful shoulder and elbow. Ice 20 minutes at least three tines a day. Gentle stretches ( search shoulder bursitis and tennis elbow- even if that is not the exact issue they would be appropriate) if you have no reason not to perhaps try an otc anti inflammatory. If the lexapro was just started 2 weeks ago? Give it time. Finally research what doctor you want for your new primary and call for an appointment so it will be set up when your insurance kicks in. You are not likely to get right in as a new patient so get a head start. You can then also get your old records sent to the new office

Thanks Nikki. I did have a friend who is a neurologist look at me and he said other than minor clonus everything looked fine. This sudden weakness in hand has me worried again. I will start searching for doctors down here in FL.

Mike/Nikki

Went for follow up (paid out of pocket) as the pain and stress was wearing on me. MRI should some bone spurs, disc causing minor pressure on spinal cord, and a moderate pinched nerve. Assume this can be what is causing my sudden hand weakness?

Thanks for listening and advising, very much appreciated. God bless

Bye, bye, MC.

Well, he seemed nice.

I will be checking in from time to time to see how everyone is doing. Everyone that has and is effected by this disease (PALS and CALS) will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for the update, MC. Your experience is a good reminder that spine problems and pinched nerves can lead to significant weakness, pain, numbness, tingling, etc.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back