Learn about ALS
Country
PT
State
Portugal
City
Lisbon
Hi

I´m from portugal, i have 25 years old, and i´m afraid of having ALS, i have some symptoms like fasciculations tongue ( when i put my tongue out i can see her shaking/light contractions ), twitching, fasciculations,dizziness ,contractions on my body, my left hand has a slight atrophy, when contract it is most noticeable.

I have made electromyogram (EMG) and nerve conduction testing (NCS) in October 2015 and test came negative, and in january 2016 the neurologist sent me again to neurophysiologist to repeat the test ( the neurologist put in request "suspicion of motor neuron disease" ) and after the teste was complete the doctor wrote no ALS, does EMG and NCS can rule out?

Thanks
ps: sorry for the bad english : )

It's great news that your EMG was clean! That's the gold standard for ALS/MND, and it would have been dirty before you even saw symptoms. Twitching and dizziness can have many, many causes -anxiety is one of the most common - and atrophy is nearly impossible to diagnose on your own, especially if it's slight as you describe. In ALS, the muscles fail first and atrophy comes with disuse, not the other way around, and your age is another point in your favor - I know other members have the statistics handy, but it's incredibly, exceedingly rare for anyone under fifty to have ALS. :)

Thanks for the reply :)

but i´m alone, and in october i was operated:( because I had a tumor inside the column( benign ), the surgery went fine, but in the last months October until now i was very worry because the doctor believe that i have muscle neuron disease ( ALS ):cry:

thats is normal when i put my tongue out and i can see her twitching?:confused:
Still i´m very afraid of having that sad disease:-|
Should i repeat the EMG in february or march?

Thanks for the support : )

If your tongue had ALS the emg would not have been clean. Everyone twitches, it's not diagnostic of anything.

Read the sticky titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING and you'll see you have no ALS symptoms.

i dont know if i am supposed to be posting here yet as i am new? But in my experience the twitching came well after my muscles stopped working in my hand, atrophy was months after that. I never had a clean EMG either

Nolesac, you should certainly feel free to post whenever you have something to contribute.

As to your post, my wife's onset was very much like yours. Muscles first, then twitching locally, then atrophy much later. Her EMG was dirty from the very start.

It's important to DIHALS to remember that twitches can be so many things that it doesn't mean ALS at all.

Ok
i´m worry because yesterday i sent message to ALS Association ( Inspire ) forum and they said that : " The EMG would show other diseases not ALS. The NCS would show nerve loss which doesn't show up right away. In my case I had loss of speech and my tongue looked like bumps that moved. They call it a bag of worms. I would get more testing done if I were you. If it is ALS the sooner you get on medication the better you will be. I hope this helps. "

That is true?

I suspect that person misspoke. The EmG can show other diseases as well as ALS. It is abnormal is ALS. The ncs is usually normal in ALS.

It is normal for your tongue to twitch when you stick it out. Even at rest tongue twitches are mostly benign. Read the sticky again. It addresses these points. You have had an EMg and a clinical exam those are the main things for diagnosing ruling out ALS the other tests many of us have had mris, blood tests, spinal taps are looking for other diseases. With current technology none of them show ALS.
You really need to trust your doctors. You are seeking opinions from strangers on the internet You do not and can not know whom to believe. ( of course we here are correct lol!)

Last edited:
Hi
so that means I do not have ALS ? and i don't need to repeat the test ?
another symptom that i have is some times i have pain in the hands...

Thanks for the reply

Your doctor told you your emg was normal and no ALS on exam? I would trust that. Hand pain is not an ALS symptom. See your regular doctor if you have symptoms that worry you but don't worry about ALS

Hi

from the bottom of my heart i want to thank you : )
I was very worry, in the report the doctor wrote rare fasciculations he said that could be benign fasciculations.

Thank you

Fasciculations without anything else is considered a normal EMG. You are good. Have a great life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back