00/0000
Country
US
State
KY
City
Louisville
<LAWMAN: I started a new thread for you. --Mod>

I too read the "read before posting" thread and I know I'm a guest here. That said, I figured I'd post my symptoms in an established thread (hope you don't mind, OP) instead of cluttering up the board by creating a new one. I'm struggling with having possible symptoms of ALS.

24 year old white male. Starting about two months ago I started experiencing a lot of pain in arms, legs, and hips. Extremely sporadic pain. I would go to sleep, wake up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in a limb , stay awake for hours, wake up the next day and the limb would feel fine. But then later that day, a different limb might go through the same pain. Rinse and repeat.

The pain subsided for about a month. Around that time I went to see a general practitioner who ran some tests and found that I may have a thyroid problem tthat caused my muscle and joint pains. I'm due to get another test done in February to see if I need to start medication for my thyroid.

However, I recently went to work out at the gym for the first time since last September and while it wasn't an awful work out for my first time back in while, my arms felt incredibly sore for about a week. I know it's not uncommon to be sore after the first work out in a while, but this felt like a different pain. Not the kind of good "weak" pain you get from working out. I haven't noticed any significant muscle atrophy.

The last week or so I've been experiencing mild pain in all of my limbs as well as very short twitches all over my body- my toes, my fingers, my legs, my arms, my abdomen, every where. Usually lasts less than a second. Probably happens on some part of my body every 20 minutes or so. I've noticed that sometimes they come in clusters, i.e., my hand will twitch for second and then immediately after that my foot will twitch also. I've also noticed that if I flex a muscle, twitches in that muscle are soon to follow. I've read that may be a sign of ALS.

I'm wondering if I have cause for concern for ALS or if this is something that is likely being caused by something else. Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated, but if no one feels like answering, I certainly understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
LAWMAN: Are you sure you read our sticky post titled "Read before posting"?

You didn't mention anything that might point toward ALS. All that widespread pain, the body-wide twitching, all point AWAY from ALS.

I can't diagnose you because I'm not a doctor, but I can with confidence say you don't have any reason to worry about ALS, because I'm fairly familiar with ALS, and you didn't describe it at all.

Then, there's your age. Just not gonna happen. This is a disease for people 50-60 yro.

Having read the sticky at the top of the forum you should have gotten that your pain and age both point away from ALS. And it never comes and goes, when you get a symptom it stays forever. I'd still follow up with your gp, but don't worry about ALS. A stressful job like law enforcement can cause all kind of things.
Vincent

Thanks for the replies. I did read the sticky and I know that some of the symptoms I mentioned are also mentioned in the sticky as pointing away from ALS. I've just read on other places from the Internet from well meaning people that my symptoms may also be pointing to ALS. Thank you for your advice, both of you, and I certainly did not mean to clutter up the board with my issues. Farewell, you all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back