Reason
Other
Country
US
State
TX
City
Olney
I started having body wide twitches about a month ago. I am 32 old female. I have seen a neurologist and I am scheduled to have an emg on Friday. I know this will tell me a lot. I am currently concerned about my jaw jerk symptom and jaw weakness. I cant find what would be considered normal? Other reflexes are slightly brisk, but possibly due to the anxiety I an having over this issue. An yhelp would be appreciated!

Hi. First did your neurologist say you had an abnormal jaw jerk and jaw weakness? Which would be signs not symptoms. Or are you feeling experiencing something( a symptom). If your neurologist told you these findings I am sure you were told as isolated findings thry can be anything or nothing. If they are symptoms and your neurologist found nothing even more likely to be nothing. I have never ever heard of initial weakness in ALS being in the jaw. Good luck with your EMG

I started having body wide twitches about a month ago. I am 32 old female. I have seen a neurologist and I am scheduled to have an emg on Friday. I know this will tell me a lot. I am currently concerned about my jaw jerk symptom and jaw weakness. I cant find what would be considered normal? Other reflexes are slightly brisk, but possibly due to the anxiety I an having over this issue. An yhelp would be appreciated!

ANXTWITCH: To quote an old song: Is that all there is? What in the world made you come to an ALS website?

As your screen name suggests, those body-wide twitches are much more likely to be anxiety. Lots of conditions cause twitching. Healthy people twitch. And in ALS, twitching tends to be localized, not body-wide.

Like Nikki, I've never heard of a jaw being the site of onset for ALS.

If that's all there is, you have no reason to be thinking about ALS.

Body wide twitching, hand cramps, right arm weakness, body facs (all over), jaw tremor/weakness, brisk reflexes, occasional trouble speaking. I realize this could and hopefully is all anxiety. Im probably mostly concerned bc the neuro want to do an EMG. Thanks for you replies. Please say a prayer that all is clear!

Honestly, it has moved around. Last week, I felt as though my fingers werent moving properly. My left hand seemed musch slower than my right. That mustve been percieved, because I dont feel that way today. My hands were cramping for a couple of weeks, but that seems to have subsided also. My biggest issue right now is the jaw jerk/weakness.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing any reason to leap into ALS. Good luck with your EMG.

Emg?

What was your Emg like? I had on done yesterday. It was clean, but seemed really fast. The nerve conduction lasted longer than the needle. He stuck a needle in 5-6 spots on each leg and arm.. Told me he was looking for ALS and that he is confident that I do not have it. Normal?

Yep, that's great news! Neurologists are pretty smart and can tell a lot by physically examining you as well as the EMG.

I hope you put this to rest now, and stop trawling the internet which increases your anxiety. Leaving here will be the healthiest thing you can do for yourself. I'm very happy for you :)

Also please do not start new threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back